Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Hate to see this!!

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I know this is a bit of a hot topic, but I can't stand to walk on the ice and see fish strewn all over. I get that people say they're feeding the birds, etc, etc. But it's not pleasant to drag your gear thru it or get it all mashed up in your ice cleats.  Nimi had gills and even a 10" catfish up on the ice dead all over. If people insist on killing the dinks, at least take them home for fish meal, dog food, or fertilizer.  Don't leave them strewn all over the lake for an unpleasant surprise for the anglers to follow please.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
I was guilty of tossing a carp  on the shoreline a few years ago, the game warden came over and asked me if I knew who did it and I fessed up to it, he gave me three options, take it home, return it back to the lake or receive a fine . This was at Luthman Bridge on Lake Loramie . I returned the carp back into the water and the game warden went about his own business making other guys clean up their cigarette butts and chew pouches or receive a fine .

kortis04

• View Profile
I saw a bunch yesterday on the ice also....its terrible to throw every fish that isnt a keeper on the ice.  How do you plan on getting a keeper if you throw them halfway across the lake....

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
      It's disturbing to me as a sportsman to see this happening year after year. This has been a hot topic on this site for the past few years. This is not fisheries management it is strictly  barbaric and uncalled for. Those will be the same people who will complain in the future that they are not catching fish! IF YOUR NOT GOING TO HARVEST YOUR CATCH CORRECTLY RELEASE IT BACK TO THE WATER!
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
      It's disturbing to me as a sportsman to see this happening year after year. This has been a hot topic on this site for the past few years. This is not fisheries management it is strictly  barbaric and uncalled for. Those will be the same people who will complain in the future that they are not catching fish! IF YOUR NOT GOING TO HARVEST YOUR CATCH CORRECTLY RELEASE IT BACK TO THE WATER!

AMEN TO THAT!!!!!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

CFosterI

• View Profile
In college, Fish hatcheries/Wildlife major, we were taught in ponds less than 1 acre never to put a dink gill back after the pond had been established. On a larger and public body of water, not such a good idea in my opinion. On small ponds I fish I still put all dinks back unless the owner request otherwise. It's not up to me to make management decisions on their pond. If I owned the body of water I would do it. I have helped several friends implement management rules on their ponds with good results.
Ponds under 1 acre after first 3 years. Take bass under 12", for every 1lb of bass removed remove 4lb of gills. Never put dink gills back. Channel cats and Crappie were not recommended in ponds under 1 acre. That was over 25 years ago though so thinks might have changed.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
well now , I throw my fish out of the shed because I don't want flopping fish thrashing inside knocking crap over, so please don't come past me and get mad if there are bodys buy the door   heheheh    besides sometimes those dino birds like to eat also, they have a tendency to sneak up and gobble down your fish.
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
That's acceptable.  You take them home when done!  ;D

Team Wilcraft!

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
yep I eat what I catch. keeping them from freezing is the hard part...
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Dave_E

• View Profile

AMEN TO THAT!!!!!

DOUBLE AMEN TO THAT!!!!!

g

• View Profile
Agree with slab and ntoiceman, if you aren't going to use the fish, put them back in the water,especially on public waters. It gives fishermen and women a bad name when people see fish littering the ice. I know some private owners want small gills and crappies removed and have been told to throw them over the bank and I follow their request since it is their pond, otherwise, back they go..

Evinrude58

• View Profile
If a game warden catches someone  doing that they will ticket them for I believe it is called "wanton waste".

Vexilar