Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Too windy to try! (And I'm getting soft)

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Was going to try OSP this afternoon but I don't have my shanty. Just my clam chair. With this wind, I don't feel like fighting it. The older and fatter I get the softer I'm becoming. Three years ago it wouldn't have stopped me since I do have my Clam suit with me!
So I'm going shopping at the Fin instead! :P :o ;D
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 02:07:58 PM by slabslayer »
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

quackpot

• View Profile
I have to set in mine with this window. I'm fat and old so that cold is rough

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
I agree with you about fishing in wind,very easy to talk myself out of it,had plans for Monday,but now calling for winds to 20 mph.and Tuesday to 30 mph and rain and sleet,most likely just blow it off entirely till round three,plus I want to fish where I want to fish,not where I'm forced to fish.
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
That's me too Gary.  Did the dink thing at Nimi already. I have a couple big Crappie spots I want to hit, but it's not frozen enough for me to fish them. Waiting and hoping be early February after this warm up it'll get cold and I can get there. I was pulling 10-15 inch crappie out of there in early December before ice on, so I know they'll still be in that area!!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Gregory79

• View Profile
Slabslayer, any lakes to consider for ice crappies this season.  Should I be looking for grass when pursuing these slabs?

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I'm waiting for Deer Creek in Alliance to freeze. Then there's a couple spots on Portage Lakes that aren't safe yet.

Team Wilcraft!

Evinrude58

• View Profile
Unless the wind is blowing you across the lake it is NOT too windy to fish. Come on guys you are ice fishermen not soft water wimps.

handymanjeff

• Global Moderator
  • Ice Fishing...The ONLY way we'll walk on water!
    • View Profile
Come on SLAB!!! I'm in my late 50's and was out yesterday fishing a tournament in MI; 2 degrees and -15 wind chill at daybreak when we started and fished for 5 hours. Fished today from 7:30 am till 1:30 pm and never got above 18 degrees and 10 mph winds.... :) :) :) :)
Jeff Gunn

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
FishStyx Custom Rods
Vexilar
Open Water Wear
Grandpa Bob's Custom Jigs
Rajus
Ardent Reels
Eurotackle
Grund-L Custom Lures
Zeko Shoes
Liquid Mayhem

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
It's weird. I just didn't feel like fighting it today.  Don't know why.  2 years ago I fished thru a 40 mph wind and 6 inches of snow. Killer crappie day!!  But I had my shanty. So windy I had to anchor all 4 corners.
So I went shopping instead.  Should've went fishing.......got a bunch of new tungsten rattle red eye shads and a new Loomis rod to throw them on. Lesson learned.......cheaper to not be a wimp and just go fishing. That's what my Clam suit is for. And I had it with me.

Team Wilcraft!

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
im a die hard also but extreme winds are just no fun, watched my bucket and scoop blow across nimi last year in that wind slab mentioned...had shanty blow around on moggy one day,   so yeh wind sucks
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

CaptainRon

• View Profile
Went to Deer Creek today. 5 inches of clear ice. Caught 4 nice perch off the causeway in 10ft of water. Cold as a mofo..

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Wonder if it's frozen enough to cross the channel at Deer Creek?  My spots are a long walk.  Takes that channel a long time to freeze. Thanks for the report though!!  Awesome it's freezing so nice.  Now if the warmup will stay away............

Team Wilcraft!

Vexilar