Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Saturday 12/16/17 PLX

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Heading out this morning (Saturday 12/16)., OSP or Nimmy.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

Evinrude58

• View Profile
IBJ and I and a couple others headed out about 8am. Ice was 2.5 inches and we spudded our way out a ways it was sketchy in spots. Watched guys walk out not following our trail without spudding and no safety gear that I could see. I spudded where 2 guys went around us and spud went through on first hit. I caught about 4 dozen mostly 7-8 inches but did get a 9 inch red ear and a 10.25 inch blue gill.  I know IBJ caught a nice Bass. About 1:30 I figured it was about time to head home and a few minutes later John informed us he decided to take a bath. He was ok just a little wet.

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Yeah, very scary incident today.  Could feel & sense the ice was softening when the sun came out around noon.  I actually didn't move from my original holes I punched at 8am. I wasn't keen on moving around like the other guys., subsequently feeling a little safer. WRONG!

Luckily Dustin Lancy & his dad were right next to me when the ice gave way & I plunged in. (just a few yards away from me). (I was in 6-7ft of water)., I got wet from my chest, down. LUCKILY I HAD MY FLOATATION SUIT ON.  I'm certain it saved me.

I can't tell you how I pulled myself out without using my Hand Spikes.  I got out so darn fast that Dustin didn't have a chance to pull his safety rope from his gear box and the other guys didn't hear me. (Without a doubt whatsoever, Angels were on my shoulders).

It would've been a hell of a day if I had gone down., especially since today is son, Nathan's Birthday.

Also fortunate the air temps were above freezing & I didn't have far to walk back to the parking lot.

All in all, glad to have plenty of buds nearby if a rescue was needed.... and not a recovery.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 06:10:35 PM by icebucketjohn »
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
So glad you’re ok!!!  I almost came over, but my wife lured me home with lunch!  At over 200 pounds I’m glad I didn’t.  I wouldn’t have got there till noon, but glad you’re ok!!  That’s the main thing.  Did you lose any gear?
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Downthehole

• View Profile
Glad you are ok! - lots of sketchy areas still and ice melt.
Newbie to ice fishing but loving it!

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
Glad you are ok ibj and thanks for the heads up on telling me not to come,or i surely would have taken the plunge as well.............. ;) ;) ;)
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
wowser   getting wet wasn't in the game plan, glad no injuries or loss. I went in at berlin once and when I got back too my truck I was completely frozen, my clothes were so stiff I couldn't get my keys out and bending wasn't gonna happen.. glad everyone is safe. pretty bass ya got though. please guys wait for 4 " at least...
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Without a doubt whatsoever, Having the Ice Armour Floatation Bibs saved my arse. The Bibs are totally a safety requirement. The jacket is optional imo, but still worth getting.

Amazing I wasn't scared when it happened, but once the adrenaline wore off, I got scared & shakey afterwards.

BTW: I utilized every safety and precautionary measure in my arsenal & years of experience... and still went thru.

I'm just shaking my head, bc it happened so darn fast and it could've easily been so much worse.

Guardian Angels or sure.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 05:54:06 AM by icebucketjohn »

toadfish

• View Profile
Glad you are ok IBJ!  Goes to show that being prepared is a requirement, especially on iffy ice conditions like we have now.  The next few days won't do us any favors with a couple days in the 50's.  After that, things might start locking up pretty decent.

Be careful gang, and be prepared like IBJ.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

g

• View Profile
Congrats ibj on a successful day, especially successfully escaping your bath with no ill effects. Glad you are OK.

papaperch

• View Profile
IBJ- I know the early bird gets the worm - but good gawd man. Anyway glad you made it out safe and sound.

As a good caution to everyone. Make sure you pack a complete change of clothes in your transportation. Even a extra pair of boots. A good wool blanket is also a potential life saver.

When you fall thru and get out. You are still not out of the woods. Hypothermia is a deadly enemy. You will be wet and wet and cold accelerate hypothermia. Important to get as dry as possible. Next time you wife goes to throw out old bath towels gather them up for your emergency gear.

Soon as you get back to vehicle shuck all your wet gear off. No time for modesty here towel off quickly as possible. Start vehicle soon as possible or some other heat source.Soon as reasonable dry get dressed in the dry clothes. Your core body heat should start to recover now.

Cover your self with the wool blanket while in vehicle until comfortably warm. Do not attempt to drive until you are certain you are back to normal.

Familiarize yourself with the warning signs of hypothermia and some of the procedures to ward it off.

Vexilar