Ice Fish Ohio Forum
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 10:54:01 AM

Author Topic: indian lake first time  (Read 4222 times)

brianr

• View Profile
indian lake first time
« on: January 03, 2018, 10:33:55 AM »

I have never been to Indian Lake ice fishing.  I have ice fished Michigan and Minnesota.  I want to take my 11 year old to Indian Lake this weekend.  It's more important that we catch fish than we catch trophies so should I target panfish (crappies and gills) verses saugeyes?  If so anyone have a recommendation on where and how deep.  I do not have a depth finder either.  Thanks for any pointers.

outflopped33

• View Profile
Re: indian lake first time
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 12:31:02 PM »

Just fish by the shanties. HAHA.. They usually move around quite a bit. Leaving plenty of holes behind. Find a nice group. Or just a single one can pay off. Try to stay as far away as possible for a respect thing. Bu all the regulars always know where the fish are. Bait store will provide a map and tons of information.. Any points are usually good. Good luck and you can pick me up here, ,My address is.. HAHA.. Jk.. No id love to go. Id pay for gas...

quackpot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 12:47:37 PM »

With taking a young one with you I would think target panfish. They should be biting better than last weekend when I went. As far as depth just get a clip with lead on it so you could set a bobber if you are using them. I would clip it to the jig and let it go to the bottom,set your bobber about two inches under. Raise it up take the clip off, bait the hook and drop back in, that should put it two inches off bottom. You will need heavier stuff for saugeye, with them use vibes (seems to be hot bait from what I've heard). I tip jig with minnow head or wax worm. Drop to bottom, jig up and down from there.

brianr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 02:14:06 PM »

I thought panfish would be best.  I was planning to jig for crappies and gills, but a bobber might be better.  We hit our local pond this weekend and used jigs, but deadsticking worked best so the bobber with just bait might be the way to go.  Anyone have a general area/recomendation for panfish?  A parking lot we can hit?

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 06:32:59 PM »

My recommendation would be to park at the Blackhawk boat ramp. It can be quite a walk if you want to go all the way to Lucys pond but that whole area usually has  panfish. There's plenty of sled paths for you to follow to the fish. I got a few dozen gills there yesterday. Prob a good place to take your boy. Keep him interested. .. hopefully. And you'll only be fishing a few feet of water so no worries about a fish finder.

quackpot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 07:27:05 PM »

Blackhawk would be a great place go. If it's Saturday I will be there and would be more than happy to help any way I can.

brianr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 08:29:58 PM »

Thanks for the information and the offer.  Not sure when we will make it yet.
Pages: [1]

Pages: [1]
Print Print

Vexilar