Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Lantern vs Mr. Heater Portable Buddy safety

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
Back in the 80's the gas lantern used to be the easiest way to heat up our homemade shanties, even into the 90's I still used the gas lantern. There have been times when I was out on the ice, you would see guys coming out of their shanties walking sideways or hear them coughing a bunch, we even had one guy walk out, take one step and pass out, when he woke he had no clue what happened. I know some of you are thinking in the wrong direction but it wasn't that, they were overcome by the fumes. I just saw a couple of days ago at Indian a guy tossed his lantern out his door that was on fire, lucky for him it was propane, not gas and it didn't explode. After trying the propane lantern last year I still had to mess with broken mantles, globes shattering when water splashed on them or falling off the sled, I now upgraded to the portable heater, there doesn't seem to be the fumes to put up with, although I always leave my windows open and it starts very easily which is a plus when your cold,  I can get about 5 hrs out of one 1lb canister on low running all the time. These past few days have been brutal and a heater is a comfort item that helped me stay all day. The downfall to these small canisters, I'm starting to see them tossed on the ice everywhere, lets try not to leave negative footprints on the ice, if you bring it, take it back.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Agreed on all counts!!  Mr Buddy is the way to go, and it’s definitely important to take your empties back.  Especially popular areas like Indian where I’m hearing people getting annoyed with ice fishermen. All leaving crap on the ice dies is give them more negative things to point at ice fishermen for, and that’s the last thing we all need. Access is getting tough for some, and leaving trash can only lead to further hindering accessable ice areas.  And if we see someone’s thoughtless bottles, let’s clean up the ice.  I always bring them back and throw away properly. 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Downthehole

• View Profile
I can’t believe they are tossing the empty canisters, I refill mine. it’s way cheaper than buying them each season....

Andy
Newbie to ice fishing but loving it!

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
Look out on north fork, I picked up 2 yesterday morning, I re-fill mine also, they were just part of the trash being left behind. Anything from plastic bottles, chip bags, candy wrappers, lure packages, cigarette butts Mcdondalds bags, just to spot a few items I saw yesterday on the ice. A few years back the game warden on Loramie made guys go back out on the ice and police up all their trash or take the fine, this included junk fish (shad). Some may think it's no big deal but when the ice is off, those canisters don't sink or rot, they become an accident waiting to happen. Downthehole, it seems we are walking the same area, I'll be out Monday, hope to see you there and good luck on the eyes.

Downthehole

• View Profile
Look out on north fork, I picked up 2 yesterday morning, I re-fill mine also, they were just part of the trash being left behind. Anything from plastic bottles, chip bags, candy wrappers, lure packages, cigarette butts Mcdondalds bags, just to spot a few items I saw yesterday on the ice. A few years back the game warden on Loramie made guys go back out on the ice and police up all their trash or take the fine, this included junk fish (shad). Some may think it's no big deal but when the ice is off, those canisters don't sink or rot, they become an accident waiting to happen. Downthehole, it seems we are walking the same area, I'll be out Monday, hope to see you there and good luck on the eyes.

Sadly, I have to work Monday. I booked this week off to fish. I moved to Sassafras Point last July so this season has been the first fishing my “home” lake. Still lots to learn but the last few days have been great!

quackpot

• View Profile
Even if we don't put it there do all of us a favor and pick it up. I use a buddy so I can have lunch. I put empty can in a ziplock and toss in my bucket.

g

• View Profile
Really bothers me how people are to lazy to pick up after themselves. We all carry buckets or drag sleds to carry our gear, so how hard is it to put your trash in your bucket and take it with you.

FishLaughAtMe

• View Profile
Yep refilling is the way to go. Doesn't hurt to carry a trash bag to keep all of your trash in order till you hit a trash can or home. Met Ntoicman36 today and got my IFO hat, pretty nice hat. Will wear it proudly unless it's really bitter cold then the fur hat comes out. Have fun and be safe.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
yepper  I have 2  buddy s   one single and another double with a fan, re filling is the best, and there should be no trash left behind. if you leave trash most of us wouldn't hang out with ya..
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

floater99

• View Profile
Buddy htr way to go,i went with a 10 lb can and hose carry canister for bak up

Tanker593

• View Profile
I bought my Mr Buddy a couple of years back.  Not only do I use it for Ice fishing but I also use it in the garage or let the wife use it for the cold soccer games.

Saw guy

• View Profile
If you go out and have trash, the flip up serves as a nice garbage can. Unfortunately, even if its someone else trash. It's up to us to be stewards of the local lakes for the ignoramusses.

Downthehole

• View Profile
yepper  I have 2  buddy s   one single and another double with a fan

I have the same - I used to have the "Portable Buddy" too however; I gave it away. I don't used the Big Buddy (double) for ice fishing as the "Mr Buddy" (single) is ample for a 1 man flip. I usually have the heater on the low setting and it warms my shanty nicely. Like quackpot, I warm food on mine (pizza, hotdogs, chili etc). I agree with everyone on the trash situation - folks should be more respectful of the resources that feed them.....

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
oh yeah if ya pull an old sock up on the propane tank it makes it easier to handle when you need to change it out on the ice. funny story out fishin sun I had that double heater cranked up and I thought man its smoking hot  in the shed and as I stood up it must have been 90 deg  higher up near the ceiling, wow    had to be there  lol
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

quackpot

• View Profile
I had my two man flip out Saturday and after my tank ran out it was still 62.8 degrees in it. I would have to say it was in the seventies when it was going strong. Problem was I forgot to take food out with me. I love when you cook something and people start smelling it. Heads start popping out of shantys.

Vexilar