Ice Fish Ohio Forum

SOLUNAR TABLES (fact or fiction)

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
You have all seen them in magazines,etc.They give a 2 hour window in the am and the pm when fishing is supposed to peak,has anyone ever kept a log on them? and what was your findings?
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
umm  I guess I never really compared, seems like the bite averages between 10am and just before sunset  and after dark till about 11pm ?  shoot a lot of times the afternoon bite is better than morning one..     you know now that I think about it why not put together a graff or chart that shows the no bite hours.. hahahah  ????
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Downthehole

• View Profile
You have all seen them in magazines,etc.They give a 2 hour window in the am and the pm when fishing is supposed to peak,has anyone ever kept a log on them? and what was your findings?

I used to use an App that had them and told you the best times of day to go fishing. At the time I was regularily bass fishing in a farm pond at the end of our street. My conclusions were that the tables were good at showing when to go during the day however; the times to go were never as good as the early morning or, late evening bite. So if you couldn’t get out for the early morning or late evening bite the tables would tell you the best alternative time (but it was never as good).

I used the App for about a year when I was teaching myself how to bass fish...

Andy
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 05:20:30 PM by Downthehole »
Newbie to ice fishing but loving it!

holehopper

• View Profile
I know it has something to do with the sun and the moon,but i have not figured out what the correlation is,i guess i'm still on the fence with it,it really does not matter,i'm going fishing regardless......... :D :D :D
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
fish on , hahaha   we don't need no stinking badges   lol
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Saw guy

• View Profile
was my understanding that the calendar had more to do with movement than the actual bite. I always have relied on first and last light, when they seem to always feed. Anything in between is gravy. More to do with color and presentation.

Downthehole

• View Profile
I know it has something to do with the sun and the moon,but i have not figured out what the correlation is,i guess i'm still on the fence with it,it really does not matter,i'm going fishing regardless......... :D :D :D

It’s all to do with gravity. As you probably know tides are governed by the moons gravity. The theory with the Solunar Tables is that there are 2 major and 2 minor times each day when the gravitational forces created by the alignment of the sun and moon become strong enough to have an influence on the activities of fish and wildlife. The absolute best times, according to the tables, are when the majors fall close to sunrise and sunset. The strength of the majors fall the further they get away from sunrise and sunset.

To me there are a lot of other variables such as water temp, bait/presentation, water clarity, weather conditions that also affect the bite...

holehopper

• View Profile
Thanks Downthehole,I Knew You  Would Chime In And Straighten this Out,You Are Very Knowledgeable,Thanks,................ :) :) :)

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
He needs to change his screen name to professor downthehole. He's always teaching us stuff.  ;)

Downthehole

• View Profile
Thanks Downthehole,I Knew You  Would Chime In And Straighten this Out,You Are Very Knowledgeable,Thanks,................ :) :) :)

He needs to change his screen name to professor downthehole. He's always teaching us stuff.  ;)

I learn a lot more from you guys than you will ever learn from me. But when I do know a little bit about a topic I’m happy to help!

Andy

g

• View Profile
I used to pay attention to the solunar tables and sometimes they correlated with a hot bite but most times no. Now I just fish when I can.

Vexilar