Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Not quite ice fishing...

takingupspace

• View Profile
cause I was fishing off the dock in open water created by an aerator.  I've been checking the ice last week and it just wasn't thick enough.  So, I plugged in the aerator and it was open for the nice 60 degree day yesterday.  Caught them on frozen minnows in about an hour.  Had a very fresh supper and need to get out more!

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
nice  my fav fresh fish
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
Might not be ice fishing,but it's still fishing,nice job improvising...... ;)
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

takingupspace

• View Profile
Well I feed them AquaMax all summer and have approx 60 Walleye to keep them from stunting.  I'm hoping to catch some Walleye before spring comes.  I'm  glad I found this site and hope to learn and enjoy the ice fishing scene.  I have a pic of a WE I caught this summer....nice and healthy around 4 pounds.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Nice catch, and welcome to the site!!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile

takingupspace

• View Profile
It's hard to say no to people but it is very hard to keep some balance in a small 1 acre perch pond.  It is set up and successful for perch spawning and hatch.  I have another acre pond that flipped and froze out 2 years ago(still crying).  I'm trying to bring it back as a trophy bluegill pond and have let people fish that pond many times for meat.  So, maybe in a year or two I would love to sit on the ice with some folks here. 

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
I was just messing with ya anyway. I'm curious. You said it's a 1 acre pond. How deep is it? Sounds like you have a pretty cool setup. I was wondering what kind of depth you need to keep a perch/walleye population healthy?

takingupspace

• View Profile
It's was dug in 2012 and was approx 15'-16' deep.  Both can tolerate warmer water temps but some claim they can become "stressed to death" by fishing in the warmer water temps.  The redear sunfish are very important for a healthy tank.  They eat the snails that are one of the host for yellow grub(you might have seen these small worms in your fish flesh).  Some people just eat them but I don't. 

There are many Fish Ohio 13"+ Perch in this pond.  When these were caught I threw back two huge ones that I leave for breeding stock.  Sorry if this is long winded for a ice fishing site! 

(if they load)Here is a pic of the pond and the happy day I trapped my first spawn.  It takes some planning to provide spawning structure that works. 

Vexilar