Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Please Welcome Banker to the Pro Staff

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
I would like to welcome Banker to our Pro Staff.

Banker loves to Ice Fish. He wants to help anyone who wants to get into the sport of Ice Fishing. Please feel free to ask Banker a question and he will try to help.

Please welcome Banker to the Pro Staff.

David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Alright! I've talked to Banker a few times and I'm really looking forward to getting out with him. He's really easy going and I know he's gonna be a great addition to the pro staff.

You'll grow this site with good people.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

eyebuster

• View Profile
HEY BANKER JUST GETTING INTO ICE FISHING THIS YEAR .GOING TO CABELAS TOMORROW WHAT SHOULD I GET  .TYPE OF LINE ,BAIT .DRILLS FLASHER ? THANKS EDDIE

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
Eddie,

If you are still up today or checking this tomorrow here is the deal.. loaded question by the way as there are 100 "right" things to purchase- just depends on who you ask...but since you were so kind to ask me..here it goes.

First of all...If your new to ice fishing-guys on this forum..like me..who have been around for a while probably have stuff that you can either have or buy at a much cheaper price than retail..as this sport is addicting and costly the more into it you get..hence you end up with too much stuff and sell - give away the old.

But lets assume that you are just going to buy it all tomorrow.
Here is an inventory of what you will need to start ice fishing:

Ice Fishing Rod and Reel Combo: I recommend an 18 inch rod if they have them..if not try to get something close. Frabill is the maker I recommend.

Line: This one varies amongst every angler. I will tell you what I have on my rods- Suffix Ice Magic - got mine from Cabela's website- can get it in clear or gold. I like the gold better as I can sight fish line tension better when a fish are finicky. 4lb test is a good go between and can catch most hard water species without lb breakage concerns.

Lures: Wait to go to your local bait store for these. Mike Bait and Tackle at Indian Lake has a large selection of hand made jigs and Bass Pro Shops at Indian Lake carries most everything else jig related. And they can tell you what's hot on the lake right now. If you absolutely have to buy jigs tomorrow from Cabela's try to get size #10, #12, #14 jigs as the bigger they get the less finicky gills you will catch. They have some start up kits like the K & E Tackle Ice Fishing Kit that has a good selection of jigs and bobbers. If I were you, I would skip the rookie purchase though and go straight for the JB Lures Panfish Ice Fishing Kit: with Eight of JB Lures' best panfish ice-fishing jigs in glow-treated color patterns – bluegill, perch and crappie won't stand a chance!

So now you have the tools to do some fishing...now to access the fish..ice should be in the way for blogs on this forum.

Auger- I recommend a Strikemaster hand auger no bigger than 6 inches in diameter. Guys will tell you that bigger is better and that if you catch a big enough fish it won't fit through the hole. I cut 5 inch holes twice as fast as someone drilling 8 inch holes and catch huge crappie through them all the time.

Scoop- Once your holes have been cut...notice I say holes...got to fish..not sit. You need to remove the slush - depending on the size of the auger you get- get a scoop that would fit in the holes you cut to get maximum slush per scoop ratio. These are in-expensive and even a cooking utensil from the kitchen can serve as a descent scoop.

Live Bait: Don't always need live bait- but most ice fisherman use wax worms, mousies or spikes- all can be found at Mike's Bait and Tackle or Bass Pro Shops at Indian Lake..also call ahead to make sure the ice is good before coming out. These bait shops are great intell on ice safety conditions at Indian Lake. You can also check the website www.indianlake.com under ice conditions. And obviously these posts help as well. Remember you can't believe everything you read on the internet though so don't go out unless others are with you or around you.

Bucket: Not a necessity but a place to sit, carry your gear and carry your fish back home.

Warm clothes: this is obvious.

Really, there is a plethora of high-tech ice fishing gear for enthusiast to buy, but to actually ice fish there really isn't much you absolutely need.  When we started- we didn't have augers and would just kick in the whole from the day before that had frozen over. You don't want to fish open holes that someone else has recently drilled as that is bad edicate on the ice.

If you have any questions tomorrow while shopping give me a call 734-740-4410. I know how complex it can all seem starting out. Just know that you don't need 90% of what's available out there. If you ice fish with someone before buying your stuff you will have a better idea of what you want to get and do need. I would recommend doing this if you have the ability to hold off. I will be going out ..weather and ice permitting...on the 3rd and would love to meet up and give you a few helpful tips. Give me a call and let me know.

I have attached pics from Cabela's website of the products I recommended above:
Frabill Rod and Reel Combo : Bro Series 18" preferred 24" at most
Suffix Ice Magic: 4 lb test
JB Lures Panfish Ice Fishing Jigs: Available in size 8 and 10- get 10 if you can
Strikemaster Hand Auger- 5" or 6"

Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

eyebuster

• View Profile
HEY BANKER THANKS ALOT THAT REALLY HELPS , I THINK I HAVE ENOUGH STUFF TO GET STARTED ,MIGHT GO TO MOUNDWOOD WED OR THUR  I GOT THE POLAR ESCAPE HUT FOR TWO MY DAD WANTS TO GIVE IT A  TRY ,JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE THE ICE IS GOOD THANKS AGAIN EDDIE

Banker

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
I have heard that Moundwood ...and the entire lake so far is not safe. Use caution.
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

eyebuster

• View Profile
HI BANKER JUST MIGHT GO SAT TO HOOK UP WITH YOU ,I WILL TRY TO GET AN AUGER BY THEN I HAVE TO WORK FRI AT THE FIRE HOUSE BUT I GET OFF AT 8 AM, SHOULD I WAIT TILL SAT NIGHT? THANKS EDDIE

Banker

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
My phone fell into a lake, I now have a new one, but no contacts. If you have my number and want to stay in touch, please text me so that I can have yours again! Also let me know who you are when you text me:) If you don't have my number and want it. Send me an email at [email protected]
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

ice phisher

• View Profile
Banker....Great to have you as part of the Pro Staff Team.......Good fishin to you and safe times on the ice.....................
Ice Phisher,

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

Vexilar