Ice Fish Ohio Forum

1/3/2010

Guest · 11 · 11531

JustNutts

Somebody else has found my honey holes... slow day, 13 keeper gills.
First day of searching for saugeye, nothing to speak of. Only out for about an hour.

bassman1973

• View Profile
I was wondering if you wouldnt mind giving me some input on lima lake,  I have only iced fished it once in the last 5 years. 
Thanks,
Mike

JustNutts

Hey Mike, here is a topo map which may help.
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=%2Bc9P66Q5Jzo%3D&tabid=20223
The South East side is a good place to be, as well as the South West. Both sides have nice clean deep water. Today I was in roughly 13 fow on the SW.  Live minnows for saugey on a tip up in the evening at dark or into the night has always been best for me. Deadsticking waxies on a favorite jig will produce lots of bluegill or trout, and soft jigging a waxie or small minnow will turn on some perch. Not sure if you use electronics but sometimes these fish can be very finicky and with a shelter you can just about sight fish anything but saugeye... slower the better. Let me know if theres anything else I can help out with or if you wana go fishing.

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
How is the ice?
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

bassman1973

• View Profile
Hey thanks for the info,  I may go out tommorow afternoon,  Im not sure yet though,  If not  tommorow i am definatly going on tuesday.  I have a black shappel shanty,  If im there and your stop and say hey.

JustNutts

Ice is great, a very solid 4-5, no breaks or uneven. Nice smooth n solid. Obviously use your own judgement.

bassman1973

• View Profile
Hey Russ have you tried any of the other resovoirs yet,  I drove up metzger on the way home from indian yesterday, they have it pumped down really low.  One spot had open water.  I have fished lima lake and lost creek with little success in the past.  Did better at lima lake, the only thing I could catch at lost creek was catfish.  I bought a camera today so Im going to try it out tommorow at Lima lake
Mike

JustNutts

Nope I havent been to any other place except LL. Man ive heard some bad stories of guys falling through after they have pumped water... Always check and recheck when your on those other reserviors. What time are you gona be out tomorrow? I may try and come meet you.

bassman1973

• View Profile
I will probably be out around 9am till prob dark.  My buddy is supposed to go but he dont know if he is going to have a babysitter or not so it would be nice to have someone to talk to and to help find the fish, lol.  I bought some tip ups today and Im going to try them out also,  I have never used them before.  Do  you know if milans or loms have minnows.

bass_38

• View Profile
With the Lima land reservoirs, which one would be considered the best and why?

I have had some decent perch outings in metzger but I am quite afraid of the horror stories I have hear pertaining to falling through the ice due to it being pumped down.

I am going to give LL a try very soon... has the bite been worthwhile as of late?

JustNutts

Bressler is UNFISHABLE. Open water and theyve pumped the hell out of it. Lima Lake has been only Trout and Bluegill for me. Caught some perch, 1 largemouth, and heard stories of crappie. But I havent found ANY saugeye or any perch since the 1 and only day.
I was hoping Bressler would have been ok, I love fishing for saugeye on the NW side. But Im close to LL and Ill be going to Indian and Erie off and on here for the rest of the year.
Id like to hit Metzger sometime, Cant say I would know where to start on the hardwater though..

Vexilar