Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Sonar vs. Flasher

Banker · 7 · 4651

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
My buddy and I were debating the differences between a Vexillar and a View Finder. Neither of us own either unit so I want to hear from those who have used/owned either or both. Which one is better for ice fishing small, shallow lakes like Indian and why?
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

JustNutts

Last year I thought I had the bright idea of buying a Humminbird 565 Portable... It was unreliable and would not pick up fish that were within my sight or it would tell me there were fish and really there were none, and would not work in cold weather, so it got sent back.... I would never buy a fish finder for ice fishing... Flashers are great for walleye, they give you a next to picture image of how the fish are reacting... But my personal preference for small lakes or reserviors would be a good underwater camera. You could see the structure, the bottom, as well as the types of fish and how they react.

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
the main difference between flashers and "graph type" units is flashers display in "real time". i have a vex and can see my jig as it falls to the bottom. you can see how fish react to different jigging methods. i was fishing in 21 fow, crappies were on the bottom. didn't want to bite very well, and i had to "tease 'em" to get them to bite. now and then, i'd mark fish at 14 fow. i'd reel up to them and they'd smash it. the hungry fish were suspended, and without a flasher, you're fishing blind. and for the folks who think that it might be "cheating", they will find fish, but it won't make them bite if they don't wanna bite. (my problem this season so far). it's the first piece of equipment in the truck. hope this helps. 

jaybird62

• PRO STAFF
  • another great day
    • View Profile
i used to use a fishin buddy 2201 for ice fishing. worked great for depth and temps. i did not have confidence in it to tell me there were fish in the area. bought a vex fl20 last year and as dave genz says, i will not go fihing without it. and itis great for shallow water. in the lowpower setting it really shines. you can watch your jig and watch the fish take your bait.  try it and you will love it
be safe, it aint no fun if you dont live to lie about it
IFO prostaff
NAFC life member

Team Mac

I thought that we could get a good disscusion goin on this subject...I bought a hummingbird matrix 12 last year and it has a real time display on the side of the screen...I can see my jig move up and down just like a flasher...The only differance is it puts out a line instead of flashing lights and it has what i call memory for a few seconds so if you look away and miss something there is a record of what was there for a few seconds...The only thing i dont like is i dont have a small battery for it so i use a car battery and it takes up a little more room because i have it rigged up in a bucket...But the battery will run the fish finder and our camera all day with out ant problem...But i still want a flasher to...lol

Good fishing

Scott and Andrew

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
I'd take a flasher over anything, they are SWEET
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
I got an aqua view quad camera  hate it would love to sell it for 200$ PAID 480$ for it, bought a vexilar and like everyone says, it's the first thing in my truck, wouldn't leave home without it.http://

Vexilar