Ice Fish Ohio Forum

anyone...anyone???

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
Anyone fish killdeer on ice? Its killer place in the spring! I was wondering if anyone has been out on the lake this year. or ever? i've got all the structure mapped out on GPS and I would love it if a few of us could get together and make a day of it.
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Sounds like you will have some good spots to go out and try. I hope you find someone in your area. Yjo might post something under the new board Fishing Partners.

Keep us posted and be safe.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I was loking at the map and it looks like it might be a great lake to fish. Can you give us some info on the lake?How is the ice now, What do you catch, where is it located, Is it a upland lake, and how far of a walk is it to the island.

Maybe we can get a group of guys to hit it together.

Thanks
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
Jammin Jigs

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
Killdeer is a upland reservoir, It’s about 3/8 mile walk or ride to the island from the ramp, It’s is a great fishery in the spring and fall. I’m sure it would be lights out on the Ice as well. I’m not sure how thick the Ice is currently. I might run up Tues. or Wed. and check it out.  The lake has a very high catch rate, and not many people fish it. It has a lot of Walleye and Smallmouth as well as some of the biggest Blue Gills in the state. This lake is very clear with 6-7 visibility. (Great if you have a Camera)
The reservoir has a lot of structure to fish (I could email Lowrance waypoints or post them if anyone wants them)

Stocked by the Division of Wildlife: Smallmouth and Largemouth Bass, Bluegill, Walleye, Yellow Perch, White Crappie, Brown Bullhead, and Channel Catfish. Introduced through Tymochtee Creek are Rock Bass, Green Sunfish, and White Sucker.
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
the Ice it 2.5" thick and doesn't have much snow on it. I didn't go out very far it might be thicker in other spots
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks for the reports. Keep em coming. Dont forget to post any of your catches in the online tournament and win free prizes from our sponsors.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
Jammin Jigs

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
i would love to go to killdeer and fish it through the ice. i have fished some of the ponds around it through the ice and have done fairly well on the gills. Always wanted to fish the res but never have (through the ice) if the cold we have last all year I may just have to go up there and give it a shot, if you are planning a trip and don't mind the company i would love to go. It is usually me and another buddy that fish hard water, and that is all the company I can manage. I mostly fish for pan fish, and would love to try for some of those perch. My grandfather used to fish this lake alot back in the day but I never got a chance to fish it with him. I know that it has great structure and good fish just seldomly get up there to fish it. Again let me know if you are planning a trip and keep me posted on the thickness of the ice I am goign to put this on my to do list for the winter.

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
i would love to go to killdeer and fish it through the ice. i have fished some of the ponds around it through the ice and have done fairly well on the gills. Always wanted to fish the res but never have (through the ice) if the cold we have last all year I may just have to go up there and give it a shot, if you are planning a trip and don't mind the company i would love to go. It is usually me and another buddy that fish hard water, and that is all the company I can manage. I mostly fish for pan fish, and would love to try for some of those perch. My grandfather used to fish this lake alot back in the day but I never got a chance to fish it with him. I know that it has great structure and good fish just seldomly get up there to fish it. Again let me know if you are planning a trip and keep me posted on the thickness of the ice I am goign to put this on my to do list for the winter.

If the weather holds I plan on going next Thurs. morning if I can find a spotter I will test the ice. send me a message if you want to go.
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
this coming thurs? If so the forecast doesn't look good, it may change but they are saying upper 40's and rain. if it doesn't desrtoy the ice maybe we could hit it after the first of the year

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
this coming Thurs? If so the forecast doesn't look good, it may change but they are saying upper 40's and rain. if it doesn't desrtoy the ice maybe we could hit it after the first of the year

It should be safe now but, with all of the warm weather coming I really don't want to chance it. I really hope it doesn't destroy the ice!
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
i know what you mean i am goign to hit it hard somewhere tomorrow and thurs just in case we lose some ice. But i don't think this will be the end of the season. if by chance you are wanting to get out there some time just give me a shout and i will def go if at all possible.

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
I don't think that this is the end of the season by far. last year @ this time i was still in a boat. but I would definitely like to get together and fish killdeer. I work a crazy 4 on 4 off schedule. so im able to fish thru the week sometimes.
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
My schedule is mon thru thur have fri-sun off every week. let me know when you want to get out and we can set something up. And keep me informed on the ice up there. This lake is on my ice to do list this year.

DFree24

• View Profile
hey man i was wantin to get out on the ice over at the res and try for walleye or perch but dont really know where to fish or anything maybe we can get together and go over there. I mainly fish bucyrus res or over at indian lake. hit me up and maybe we can make a trip over there . 740-751-0002  thanks dustin

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
hey man i was wantin to get out on the ice over at the res and try for walleye or perch but dont really know where to fish or anything maybe we can get together and go over there. I mainly fish bucyrus res or over at indian lake. hit me up and maybe we can make a trip over there . 740-751-0002  thanks dustin

I know where to find them during soft water season, If I could get a few people together to check the ice thickness I think we could catch a ton of them. it should be safe in a few days.
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

Vexilar