Ice Fish Ohio Forum

RUNNERS FOR SHANTY

let it freeze

• View Profile
My advice to you is when you buy your shanty go ahead and buy your runners as well it will be a lot easier to install them Than if you wait til later.Make that the first thing you put on before you assemble the poles.

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Great advice on the runners. I made the mistake trying to put them on afterwards on my first Clam Guide.

David
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Suggestions on other materials for runners other than aluminum.. PLASTIC???

$50 for Clam Runners is a bit pricey in my book.

Any idea where to purchase the material.. aluminum strips or plastic strips?
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
In the Akron Area you may be able to get the right plastic at Universal Plastics on South Arlington across the street from Discount Drain.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Thanks HWJ... I live within a few miles of the place and didnt even think of them...  Will let you know how I end up and will post pics.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

Fishin 2

• View Profile
use ski's, I have as well as a million others. Got mine at the ski resort. they had 20 pairs they were trashing. goodwill has em for about nothing too. Just countersink your screws and your good to go. Mike
ps, where ya located, I'll give ya a set !!!
Take a Kid Fishing, You'll need the help Carrying Fish  !!

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Stopped off at Universal Plastics on Arlington Rd in Akron yesterday, 12/28/2010.  Nice service, but the estimate for 2 runners ($31 each) was a little pricey for me. My original dimensions were 3/8"x4"x7ft.   He adjusted the dimensions to 1/4" thickness and the estimate was reduced to $21 each...still a little costly.....

....Undecided at this point if I should get it from them or simply go to the nearest Goodwill or Salvation Army to purchase a used a set of skis.

1BigIcehole

• View Profile
Go to your nearest hockey rink and ask for some scrap puck board, it's very durable and slick and FREE. Just picked up a piece 48x48x 3/8" thick and put it on my shanty today while it rained.

They had hundreds of pieces and said I could take as much as I needed so if you can't find any let me know.

Also great for cutting boards on your fish cleaning tables.

1BigIcehole

• View Profile
It's the white or yellow board around the walls in a hockey rink, very durable, if it can take a beating from skates and pucks it will stand up to anything while dragging it, and glass smooth which should decrease friction.

Tried to send some pics of the board and the runners on my clam but it was too much info to send. I can send some pics, just shoot me your email.

Vexilar