Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Any advice or tips on storing shanty and ice fishing gear?

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
In less than 1 month all of the ice will be gone for good. How is everyone storing their shanty? I have a clam Yukon and I’m thinking of shrink wrapping with 5mil plastic in hopes to keep mice out of it any other tips for storage of the shanty and fishing gear?
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
Ive been thinking about try to fing a HUGE rubbermaid bin that I can fit the otter and expedition in. I dont know if they make them big enough though. I may drive to wooster to the rubbermaid store to find out. But we have plenty of time before we have to pack everything away.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

bruce136

• View Profile
 I put little containers(cut off water bottles) of moth balls in mine. It deters mice from getting in it.

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
Dryer sheets will work too and it smells better in the fall. I put all my other equipment in a big rubbermaid container and store it on a shelf in the garage. Dave

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
It's important to open up your shanty on a dry day to air it out before storing it. Also, wipe down any metal with a greese or polish or wd40 before putting it away. Any mosture in there will oxidize the metal making it harder and harder to use. You'll notice a white powdery substance next season if you don't wipe it down. I use gun grease on mine.
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

Optfish

• Trout from Antrim
    • View Profile

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
i really like the shrink wrap idea. about 4 years ago, i had my flip over packed away with drier sheets, setting on the rafters in the shed. a tom cat sprayed it, and i could barely stand to use it till this season.

Optfish

• Trout from Antrim
    • View Profile

Vexilar