Ice Fish Ohio Forum

I didn't write it , but...

1977walleyeguy

• View Profile
i didn't write the following, but i thought is was worth sharing to the group.

Well said everyone!  For those who have never tried ice fishing, or maybe only casually tried it, they do not understand the appeal or addiction that the we feel.   Technology has helped tremendously, some have equated using a flasher to catch fish with a video game, and yes I guess there are some similarities.  However it is so much more than that.  How do you describe the feel and anticipation as you drop your lure down the first hole  of the day? How do you explain the rush of adrenaline as you set the hook, and the rod doubles over as line screams from your reel? How do you explain the strategy involved to find the fish when fishing a new lake, or finding the right lure / technique when faced with a tough bite.  How do you describe the sun peeking over the horizon to the east, or sinking below the tree tops to the west?    The peacefull solitude when fishing alone or the boisterous camaraderie when fishing with friends.  How something as ordinary as brats on a grill becomes extraordinary cuisine when grilled on the ice? The almost painful anticipation waiting for the first solid ice of the season, and the touch of sadness felt at the last trip of the season.

For those who are not afflicted with our addiction, words can not adequately describe who we are, or why we love to ice fish.  All we can do is to try to share our passion with others who are willing to experience it, and for those that wont, we will have to be content to be the nuts who walk on water, sit on a bucket, and stare down a hole.

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
That was very well said. Thanks for sharing that.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
Very well put I hate to admit it but I was one of those who wondered about those nuts on the ice everyday in 02 and 03 when I drove 70 miles north to Lacrosse wi for therapy after my accident. It wasn't until 2006 when I was looking for a winter activity for the boys and I that I became one of those nuts. One of the main reasons I have stayed here in Wisconsin is the extended Ice Season we have here. Dave

g

• View Profile
well put. i've been addicted for 20 years. i don't think i'd own a boat if i could ice fish at least 6 months a year.

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
Come to think of it g my boat was out only a couple times this year for fishing. Dave

Vexilar