Ice Fish Ohio Forum

water

perchguy

• View Profile
Water needs to go down here before we get a good freeze.but I hope it's on the way.

OldSailor

• View Profile
Water needs to go down here before we get a good freeze.but I hope it's on the way.

Excuse me, but my crystal ball is in the shop! ;D Where are you talking about ???
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever is playing Michigan!!!

jumpy

• View Profile
    • www.buckeyefishingcharters.com
Water temp is 39 @ SBI. It won't be long now.
If you jig it they will come!

perchguy

• View Profile
if it froze now you would have some ice than a pocket of air than water,NOT GOOD

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
I've herd of guys going through at hoover do to the air pocket between ice a water, not good not good at all.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
I think it's going to go down before the freeze but who knows I guess.

g

• View Profile
it also needs to clear up before it freezes. dirty ice is very unsafe ice & it makes for tough fishing.

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
g - I don't understand what you mean by clear up?  Places like Indian and Buckeye are nearly always murky and lots dirtier than Alum.  Does that make the ice not as safe?  I know clear is the best but how much difference does it really make once it gets to freezing good?

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
Clear ice and clear water are two different things. black ice is typically seen during first ice regardless of the water clarity. It is black for the same reason that good diamonds are good diamonds no imperfections. Once Air gets mixed into the ice it becomes cloudy or "dirty" this happens as a result of ice melting and freezing again. Cloudy ice is less safe than black ice and the general rule of thumb is to stand on 4 inches of black ice. You can literally have 8 inches of white air pocketed cloudy ice and not be able to stand on it. (you will see that scenario towards late to last ice) with how the temps fluctuate here in Ohio it's very rare to have true black ice that you can see through for much longer than the first couple of weekends of ice fishing.
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I'm afraid of the same thing at Berlin.  The water is incredibly high and if it froze now there would be a 2-4 foot air pocket in my favorite spots.  Not cool!  Hope it drains out after all the rain before it freezes up.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

g

• View Profile
good expanation banker. i should have said cloudy colored ice instead of dirty ice. i don't mind murky or stained colored water, it's the chocolate colored water that makes it tough. moundwood gets a lot of cloudy ice from the duck hunters breaking paths to get to the main lake. sorry for the confusion & my poor choice of words.

jumpy

• View Profile
    • www.buckeyefishingcharters.com
Water temp is 36 @ SBI
If you jig it they will come!

perchguy

• View Profile
I'd like to come up to Erie this year if I have the $$.some cold artic air would be good about now.

Vexilar