Ice Fish Ohio Forum

pond ice

Minnowhead

• View Profile
Found a skinny 3" of ice on a pit pond.  2" everywhere else around the pit ponds shoreline.  Basically took 3 turns of the auger to punch through.  My buddy ventured out 8-10 feet on the 3" area to drill and it started to stress crack.  He boogied back towards me.  He weighs a whopping 175lbs.  My porkchop arse weighs 225 not including boots, AA and gear.  I ventured exactly 16 inches out on the ice just to see if it would crack.  We have a metal grate that extends out into the pit.  We walked out on it approx 15 yards to test drill.  We figured it was 2 inches around the shoreline on average and maybe 3 inches dead center of the pond?  We are going back to check the ice again in the a.m. and possibly get a depth reading with the vexilar.  My buddy said he saw shanties set up at Nimisila today, but there is no way in hell I would even attempt that after what I saw on one of our pit ponds today.  I am anxious but still very cautious.
Throwing ice cubes in the lake all summer long!

Bryan

• View Profile
I have to wonder...that ice held your buddy at a static step/walk. Now if he fell on his ass that could have the potential to imitate doubleing his weight at the moment just after impact. Anyone know if those recomended ice thickness charts factor in the possibility of falling on your ass?
Captain Bryan Oetting
Middle Bass Island Ohio
Lake Erie

Otter's island water taxi

Minnowhead

• View Profile
Didn't see an ass factor on the chart.  However, a pucker factor was in full effect.  ;D
Throwing ice cubes in the lake all summer long!

ice phisher

• View Profile
That really had to be a giant "pucker factor" concidering these guys were well equipt wearing their Arctic Armour (float suits).....and minnowhead......don't forget to tell your buddy to wrap his new 22HD Vex in it's own flotation divice.....when you guy's get to the depth reading part again.........Besafe guy's........
Ice Phisher,

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

mikeL

• View Profile
The vex would be an expensive soaking if you did go through
Pro staff

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Agreed, I leave all my electronics in my sled if its that thin.  Then if I go thru, my gear stays on top.  I can use floatation device on my suit and picks to get back on the ice, but my gear would sink to the bottom.  Not fun and if you've fished with me you'd know that would be a very expensive trip.  ;D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
It would be the worst day of my life if I lost all my gear. As i lay hear in the hospital I have all the time in the world to think of ideas. What I came up with is a life preserver unit for your sled/shanty and your electronics. I know they make life vest that blow up once they come in contact with a certain amount of water. Why not make them to fit on your shanty or flasher. They would be super small and easily mounted. Your gear may get wet but would be saved. Especially your flasher or camera. It would get wet and may not work but you can send them in to get fixed for a lot cheaper then buying another one. To retrieve it out of the water all you would have to do is get a weighted treble hook and snag the unit or float line. I dont know if the idea would work or not but the meds the dr. has me makes my mind bounce around a lot.lol
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
From what I've read a lot of guys need them for their cell phone LOL

ice phisher

• View Profile
Some of the greatest magnetic forces in the world are omitted from a hole cut in the ice, on a frozen lake and used for ice fishing purposes.......Just ask the sum of every ice fisherman that has had one (CELL PHONE) drop from his hand.....fall out of a pocket or get knocked off a seat in a shanty......Usually one bounce and KERPLUNK Bigtime....I've personally seen more than a couple "LONG FACES" with a bewildered gaze......staring in to that ice fishing hole...in the years that cell phones have become popular.....
Ice Phisher,

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

mikeL

• View Profile
Had fun calling one and watching it light up each time we called it. 
In 20 feet of water
Pro staff

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
It is kind of a murphys law thing......if something is dropped on th eice it is ultimatley drawn to the nearest ice hole!!!! Works like a charm every time

g

• View Profile
have seen lots of things disappear down ice holes. cell phones, car keyes & camera batteries. always funny when it's not mine.

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
My buddy and I were out on Erie three years ago and he kicked a $150 pair of sunglasses I borrowed from my brother down the hole.  Two hours later I end up catching them off the bottom in 32 feet of water and on the way up I'm like I think it is a perch it is just not that big.  He grabs the gaff and when I reeled up he screams oh my god you caught somebody's head.  Glasses were caught perfectly on the treble hook and we laughed for hours over that one.

Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

Bryan

• View Profile
Thats a helluva save!!! Did you tell your brother?
Captain Bryan Oetting
Middle Bass Island Ohio
Lake Erie

Otter's island water taxi

mikeL

• View Profile
Have caught poles, chairs, nets, and many outer things. Just never something I dropped in. That's pretty impressive.
Pro staff

Vexilar