Ice Fish Ohio Forum

What are you spoolin this year?

1977walleyeguy

• View Profile
I was thinking of spoolin some vicious line on a could rod combos for testing this year.
What are you spoolin?  ;D

jmsteele187

• View Profile
I'm spooled up with mostly sufix ice braid and sufix 832 ice braid, as well as sufix ice magic mono lines.  I may switch up a little on one of my ultra light combos though.  I'm using sufix ice braid with a 1/2 lb diameter and, I believe, 3lb test.  I haven't seemed to find a knot that doesn't slip, I may just keep experimenting till I find the right knot though.  I'm a big fan of the 832 braid though.  It's a little more costly, but I feel it's worth it.

1977walleyeguy

• View Profile
used p-line floroice on most of the rigs last year, very happy with it. Others a spooled with fireline crystal micro ice and have been happy with it as well for toothy critters.

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
I am looking forward to using the new Toray line this season. They are our line sponsor this season.

I used their larger diameters this summer and it is a great line. We are the test market for the line under winter conditions.

It is the finest resin used for Fluorocarbon on the market. It also comes in 1/2 pound increments.

We will also be giving it away at our events this season.

Give it a try and let me know how it works this winter.

www.blackwaterfishingline.com
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
hey steel have you tried the knots you use with pp   jump on the web site and check out there knots. the braid is so slippery a regular knot wont work..  I have noticed that the power pro line on my perch rigs that is a couple years old  is easier to knot .....just a thought
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

jmsteele187

• View Profile
I'll have to get on their website and look at the knots they recommend.  I know at least one of the many knots I've learned over the years, ended up working for me last year.  I just can't remember which knot it was.  I guess that's where the experimentation comes in.

OIM

• Manager of Retail Operations with Sportsmen's Dire
    • View Profile
    • Sportsmen's Direct
I am running Blood Run Cadence this year. Its michigan company and they make some great line.

36072 Jefferson Ave
Harrison Twp, Mi 48045
In the heart of the action on Lake St. Clair

jmsteele187

• View Profile
I figured out which knot to use with my light line.  Just your standard improved clinch knot worked.  I do have to run the line through the eyelet twice though.  If I run it through once, every knot slipped.  I ran it through twice, and every knot I tied held perfectly.  Since I can tie a clinch knot in my sleep, I think it's what I'll stick with.

OIM

• Manager of Retail Operations with Sportsmen's Dire
    • View Profile
    • Sportsmen's Direct
I figured out which knot to use with my light line.  Just your standard improved clinch knot worked.  I do have to run the line through the eyelet twice though.  If I run it through once, every knot slipped.  I ran it through twice, and every knot I tied held perfectly.  Since I can tie a clinch knot in my sleep, I think it's what I'll stick with.

I use a Palmar and Sturgeon Loop with the jig tied into the loop.

36072 Jefferson Ave
Harrison Twp, Mi 48045
In the heart of the action on Lake St. Clair

Vexilar