Ice Fish Ohio Forum

12-12-13 ICE

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Went out on C-5 today.  VERY SKETCHY!!  Ice was clear, but only 2-3 inches.  Fished gill pills around weed bed edges with moderate success.  Was there with justjign, we got some decent gills and he got a perch.  The middle of the lake was open water.  Felt weird to be ice fishing while watching guys motoring around in a duck boat.  Just be careful, C-5 was not solid all the way across, we only got 2/3 across and spud went thru with 1 good hit.  Not really ready yet, but will be by Saturday for sure!  C-5 anyway, main lake will be longer.  Here's some pics.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

td31

• View Profile
Very nice, slab! Can't wait to get out, looking like Saturday afternoon after my sons bball practice.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
nice I hope 2 get out this weekend. maybe the ice will be better
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

JusJign

• View Profile
Hey Slabslayer,

Firstly, it was my pleasure to meet you!
I ended the afternoon with a pretty decent mess, they seem to take off a bit as soon as a little cloud cover rolled in. Nothing over 8.5" mostly 7"ish but I ended up with about a third of a bucket, mostly gills, with a few perch and redears mixed in. The wind was taking it's toll on the thin ice, when I left it had opened back up to within about 100yds from where we were fishing.

Happiness Is, Get"N Bit<*)))>--<

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Awesome!!  My pond idea was a bust, only 2" at best there. Should've stayed at Nimi. Glad you really got into them , there's good crappie action if we could've got a little farther out.  Glad you made it off safely.  I'll be back there on Monday mid morning if snow doesn't kill the ice.  Keep in touch.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

td31

• View Profile
Good job, Jusjign...

Hey slab,

Could you give a bit of info on the location of "C-5" on Nimi. Im sitting here looking at the lake map, and I don't see any thing like that.
Once again, as a new guy to the Akron/Canton area, I truly appreciate all the posts and help from you area vets. Cant wait to punch some holes with you fellas!

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Its on CHRISTMAN road, just north of the first boat launch. C-5 refers to a parking lot. There's a sign with C-5 on it.

Team Wilcraft!

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Also, the fishing area is on the other side of the road and North of the parking lot near the guard rail. Hope this helps.  Anything else let me know.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 05:11:24 PM by slabslayer »

Team Wilcraft!

Ludendorff

• View Profile
Good morning everyone,

Went out this morning with a buddy of mine. It was both of ours first time ice fishing ever. The ice was only about 2 1/2 to 3" thick but we had no problems. We fished a little cove down the trail from the parking area off of S Main St. We had no luck. Could anybody give us some tips on where to go and what they bite most often. We tried several different kinds of jig heads tipped with maggots and wax worms and nothing.

Thanks

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
well try off the boat launch on main go straight out  there is a hump out there with weeds . and towards the dam from same place out by point is deep water. and at other boat launch on christman that cove by the launch has a deep hole off that point. got a lot of craps there. go straight out from same launch is a 15 ft hole get eyes there also..out from oil wells on the points also..be careful as you move towards dam the current is more pronounced and the ice changes...
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Ludendorff

• View Profile
Thank you we will definitely have to try those spots out.

Vexilar