Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Frabill Trekker DLX, front bar does not sit on ice?

steelneyes

• View Profile
Hello all,
Does anyone know what would cause my frabill flip over front bar to be about 6" above the ice?  It was not this way in the past and can't figure out what could have bent or moved.  Just retightened all of the bolts as general maintenance.  But the skirt barely touches the ice.  Can take a few pics in the driveway set up if anyone has any ideas or previous experience with a flip over with this problem.

Thanks,
Steelneyes
Spud one, spud two, if it went through, so will you!

chaunc

• View Profile

steelneyes

• View Profile
Unfortunately, the problem was there before I tightened everything down.  Bolts were just getting loose enough that the poles were rattling around.  I think I may have to put more of a bend in the poles with a conduit bender.  I don't remember it sitting like this until last year, but with a whole 3 ice trips in 3 years now, memory is sort of fading if it was like that before or always.  Wind will get underneath when I can't bury into the snow.  The bad news is I have at least another week to figure it out after the warmup starts today.  :(

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Also make sure the front vertical support bar by the door is fully extended.  It's adjustable, and if it's not extended you'll have this problem, I've done the same thing before and forgot to extend it, as I have the same shanty.  If that doesn't work, post some pics and I can try to trouble shoot for you.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

steelneyes

• View Profile
Hey Slab,
Just went out and checked the pole, neighbor says I'll dull my blades drilling through the driveway :)  If I put the door extension pole in the middle adjustment hole and then shorten the 2nd and 3rd bow poles to their shortest position, it sits right up front, about 1/2" off the drive (ice).  So its only when I extend all the supports tight that I have the problem.  Maybe the tent shrank? Or those positions only work if the tent gets strectched out?  I can call it good as it is and I am busy building a ski sled and fixing some chipmunk holes in the canvas.  At least they aren't as destructive as mice. 
Just curious if you recall yours working the same way. 
Thanks,
Steelneyes

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
My poles are always on the shortest setting, that way it collapses faster and sits closer to the ice. Where do you fish?  Maybe we can meet on the ice and figure this out.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

steelneyes

• View Profile
Okay well that seems to be right then.  I'm 6'3 so thought I could get an extra 2" of height out of it.  Then looking online in the manual it says that the different hole positions are for "varying weather and setup conditions.  SO I guess I'm good in 6" of snow.  Thanks all for the help.

Sent you a PM Slab.

hearttxp

• View Profile
sounds like it was put together wrong maybe? if fabric was put on too tight it will pull front poles off ice ?

bassmastermjb

• View Profile
Yes, someone put the shanty together wrong. You'll need to unscrew the molding or rubber strip that holds the canvas to the back of the sled. When reattaching, set up the shanty so all the poles are forward, as if you were fishing. Then refasten the canvas to the back of the sled leaving an extra 1/2" play. When assembling any flipover shanty, this is the very last step in completing the construction.If you have any questions, just call, I'll be able to help........Mark

Mark's Live Bait-Tackle And Ammo
7231 ST RT 14
Ravenna,Ohio 44266
330-296-3474 Shop
330-221-5213

hearttxp

• View Profile
Yep Glad you agree mark 1 I assembled one of those Frabill a few years back and just did a one man Clam and remember reading that part in instructions !

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
That's right I'd forgotten about that. That was the toughest part for me.  I wish that rubber strip was a little wider.

Team Wilcraft!

tomb

• View Profile
Make sure shanty is on even surface and have all poles fully extended when readjusting fabric. Do you take it off every season as Frabill suggests? I've found that to be more harm than good. Leave my fabric on in off season. Just hang shanty on garage wall to keep mice out.

steelneyes

• View Profile
Thanks for the additinal replies.  I think you guys are right in that the tent material is too far down in back, it looks like I need more canvas in back and that is where it gets tightened first when extending the poles.  I have been working on all my gear and had to do some patches which I got done this week.  Today is my sled buildout since I find the Trekker plows snow very badly sometimes and it looks like there will be plenty of it.  I do not remove the tent for storage, hence the chipmunk damage, but last year wrapped it in a tarp after a good cleaning with a few mothballs and some charcoal inside in a storage container with airholes poked in it.  My buddy I share the shanty with did the original assembly so I could blame him but he did stay up all night doing it by himself the night before a Chautauqua trip ;D

Vexilar