Ice Fish Ohio Forum

January 2014 Ice Conditions?

toadfish

• View Profile
Anybody been out on Ferguson/Metzger yet?  How thick is the ice and how is the bite?  Might try it out for perch/eyes on Wednesday after the cold front moves through.  I have a black Shappell Rover 1 man flip over and vexilar FL-20.   Might try the point near the SE corner of Metzger or near the steps in the center of the south side.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

Spiral_Ice_Jr

• View Profile
Toadfish,

I have never had the oppurtunity to fish Ferguson or Metzger but I will be giving it a shot this weekend if possible.  I recently picked up a Great Lakes Angler Magazine, and both resevoirs were mentioned to have a great perch population.  I have been reviewing the TOPO map to determine where the fish could be, would you have any area's to target?  A buddy from Indiana will also be making the trip, and I would like to put some perch on the top side of the ice. 
"The Walleye Wrangler"

toadfish

• View Profile
I fished Ferguson on the evening of 1-8-2014 and caught my first walleye on Fergie.  Too bad it was only 13" long.  I was in 11 FOW straight south of the point of the road between it and Metzger.  All alone out there except for the kids sledding.  Had a few other marks on the vex but no bites except the eye.  I drilled lots of holes while trying to mark perch.

Ice was real good everywhere I went - 7"-8" of good clear ice.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

EYEFISHER2

• Dustin
    • View Profile
I would be extremely careful if anyone decide to try gettin out before we get some COLD days.   Was off the point tonight and found several areas less than a inch think and big enough for a person to go threw.   Without a spud you would have no idea because it looked the same as the good ice.    The good ice is still 5+ inches but very soft.  Snow pack and slush ice 15-25 feet from shore is extremely dangerous can just push the spud threw no force put into it at all....if you didnt get the hint.   No spud?  Dont even think about trying it.   Even if you see people out that doesnt mean the whole lake is safe or even the ice inbetween you and them is.   It shouldnt take to long to heal it but right now just becareful please

EYEFISHER2

• Dustin
    • View Profile
Be careful if anyone ventures out. Heard 3 people went for a swim friday...there are lots of bad spots out there believe it or not.   Dont go out alone and have a spud in hand.    Good luck

Vexilar