Ice Fish Ohio Forum

C.J. ice conditions. Jan 9

saugeyemarc

• View Profile
I posted on the get together topic line but I want to post it where it's up front.  99% of C.J. has 6-9 inches with 7 to 7-1/2 being the norm.  Geese have a small pond size opening in the middle of the main lake.  We went within a football field of that checking ice today.  There are a few areas that held snow and I'm not checking them areas as they don't look good to me.  The south side of the marina opening developed a large uphevel that left open water right off the bank. Would recommend the main boat ramp or campground for areas in which to access the main lake.  Drill often and check thickness as you go. You can never be too safe...
specialty is walleye saugeye and sauger with a sprinkling of crappies and perch.
Sponsors: Icefishohio.com,  Reef Runner Lures, Macks Lure, VIBE

lowellhturner

• View Profile

fshman_165

• View Profile
Found the ice has firmed back up....found an area with 3.5 inches and most other areas were about 2 to 2.75 inches. May be able to get onto the lake by Saturday. On the fishing note..I found the big crappies this morning and they were hitting nicely. They never left the marina, just moved and are feeding in a different area. I will probably be out again each morning, watching the lake and checking the ice...and doing some fishing of course.

Green Pea

• View Profile
Excellent. I was hoping some of the ice would stick around. Hopefully I can get out this weekend. Thanks for the update.

lowellhturner

• View Profile
If the temperatures and wind chill stay well below freezing, SAFE ice conditions should continue...

fshman_165

• View Profile
The lake has some small open water areas and some pressure cracks (that opened yesterday) that have split up some pretty solid ice. This weeks temps should make NEXT weekend a go. I will test the ice mid week to see where we are at. 

lowellhturner

• View Profile
Still interested in next weekend hitting the old barn foundation. ANYONE else `interested`?

Vexilar