Ice Fish Ohio Forum

***IMPORTANT PLEASE READ***and...offer your opinion!

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
I apologize ahead of time if this is breaking any rules, as it is not directly associated with Ice Fishing, but as fishermen and outdoorsmen I feel it's all of ours responsibility to take care of and stay informed about our ecosystems particularly waterways and fisheries, as you probably have seen the chemical spill in west Virginia, the toxic water is making its way up to the Ohio River. I don't know the severity of it yet, but it could potentially destroy the ecosystems and fisheries of the the Ohio river and it's tributaries. Please spread the word and continue to stay informed on the topic. Once more I appologize for any broken rules, but we must take efforts at preserving these resources because it can have huge imediate and long term impacts on them. thank you and stay safe on the ice everyone.
-Josh Blackburn
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 08:42:54 AM by slabslayer »
Lake Medina, Ledge lake, Hinkley lake, Wallace Lake, Spencer lake, judges Lake, Plumb creek, Buckeye woods, Hubbard valley, Chippewa Lake, Portage Lakes Findlay State Park

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Couldn't agree more!  And while we're at it, I'll throw something else out there!  Something else that makes me mad is to walk out on the ice and see trash!   >:( >:(  Propane bottles, pop cans, cigarette packs, etc. YOU CARRY IT OUT, CARRY IT BACK!!!!!  All that crap sinks into the lake when the ice melts.  Please respect other fishermen, and more important, our natural resources!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
Same, i always pick up others trash when I find it while I'm out
Lake Medina, Ledge lake, Hinkley lake, Wallace Lake, Spencer lake, judges Lake, Plumb creek, Buckeye woods, Hubbard valley, Chippewa Lake, Portage Lakes Findlay State Park

Buckeye John

• View Profile

snag

• View Profile
Personally, I like a clean environment when on the ice.  Anything less takes away from the awesome experience and beauty the Winter season offers. 

I too have seen some sloppy sights out there.  Nothing like looking up and seeing a Bald Eagle, then looking down only to see a pile of trash. 

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I know, I also hate it when people throw small fish all over the ice. It looks disgusting. Just put them back!  The 4-6 dinks you throw on the ice has absolutely no impact on changing the fishery. Nor once you've caught them will they bite again soon. My opinion only!!  What do some of you think about it??
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

snag

• View Profile
I've been told leaving fish on the ice is against the fishing rules. A guy up on East Harbor told me the game warden was issuing tickets for folks leaving fish on the ice. He said they enforce the rule concerning cleaning fish on the lake.     

threeten

• View Profile
what a disaster that is on the river.  hope they fined the drilling co. to the total extent allowed!!
sad that I take a bag with me on the ice just for cleaning up after others,and rarely do I not find stuff to throw in it! >:(

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
Wasn't a drilling company, it was a coal refinery that leaked some kinda cleaning agent

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Wasn't a drilling company, it was a coal refinery that leaked some kinda cleaning agent
the scary thing is they don't have a clue what the harmful effect will have now, or long term. they said not to use the water for washing clothes or bathing..... sounds pretty scary to me.

Vexilar