Ice Fish Ohio Forum

CJ for first time this sunday. Any tips?

bootyman

• View Profile
Hey guys. Me and a couple of friends  are looking at venturing out to CJ for the first time sunday. Would someone shoot me some tips as far as where to start? I dont expect your honey holes but a little direction would be very much appreciated. Ive been watching everyones ice reports and fell confident it should be a good ice day. Thanks much in advance.

lowellhturner

• View Profile
Fish the transition zones, and most larger fish will probably in 18+ fow. Am going to go out Sunday to the Main Boat Ramp. I do not yet have an auger, but know the lake...BTW, have your "cat`s claws" ON you, and have the 50 of strong line, just in case, ok?

IceLover

• View Profile
Hey Bootyman
What are you wanting to fish for.
Crappies can and will be all over the lake and different depths depending where you fish
Walleye are tougher to find but the old road bed north of h
The campground is popular
Get a free map here and look at the lake

I am heading out now and plan to be there sun as well

fshman_165

• View Profile
Bootyman: My suggestion is not to fish the the areas around the campgrounds yet. Water was open in large swaths both north and south of the campground point as recently as Tuesday. I would wait until at least next thursday to poke around the campground point (including the humps area) since you are not familiar with the lake. Pm me and I can let you know what days I will be out. I can help you out with where to go.

bootyman

• View Profile
Thanks a bunch guys. We plan on heading towards the lake at 9 and get there about 11. Im hoping to stop and get some live bait in hopes of catching a few walleye. Id love to catch anything but really want crappie and walleye. I will have a gps with me and found the gps info on the fish attractors. Is there a bait shop right around the lake? Unfortunately i dont have a flasher but will be checking depth the old school way. Id be happy to let a fellow fisher man borrow our auger as long as your close by!

lowellhturner

• View Profile
Gentlemen, I unfortunately have a (deleted deleted) frozen pipe to deal with this morning, so I will not be available. However, upon St Rt 4 at the intersection with Croft/ Home Rd turn N (left from Home Rd, R off Croft Rd) there is a very good carry out with good bait that opens at 7AM. As far as a `sleeper` spot #11C is it...close to parking, semi sheltered from the wind...plus in shadow most of the winter. Have your SAFETY gear ON your person, please and have that 50` rope WITH you, just in case...good luck gentlemen, and make us proud ! Oh yeah, and don`t catch them all !

Vexilar