Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Finding crappie???

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
Does anyone have any tips for locating crappie this time of year? I've been fishing a lake for about a week and. Half and can't seem to locate the crappie. I'm hammering nice gills but no slabs. I know this lake had an abundant population of bi crappie but I just can't seem to find them. I'm going to scout a little more tomorrow. This lake is relatively shallow averaging 12 ft w a few spots over 20. No weeds and not whole lot of structure that I know of this time of year since it is a draw down lake. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
I'm no expect by any means, but if you have a flasher, I see a lot of guys on shows drill a bunch of holes and check each of them as they go till they find fish and then jig it and see what they are.
Lake Medina, Ledge lake, Hinkley lake, Wallace Lake, Spencer lake, judges Lake, Plumb creek, Buckeye woods, Hubbard valley, Chippewa Lake, Portage Lakes Findlay State Park

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Crappie have to relate to something. Won't be just a flat or open water it seems like. Drop offs, structure, or a little current is all it takes. Seems like they will either be very shallow or very deep. What lake may help?
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
If you know of any isolated vertical structure you should find them. Marinas with floating docks are also good on impoundments. Look for large areas with consistent depth and any risen structure should be holding them.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

Treble

• View Profile
The other guys gave you some great advice. Only thing I can add is stay off the bottom. Unless they're locked into some structure they'll be suspended.

snag

• View Profile
I like fishing after dark and taking one of those floating Styrofoam lights.  Auger a hole and set it up, then fish around it.  Sometimes doing it that way you can catch them a couple feet under the ice.

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
Thanks guys this should give me some spots to try. It is Delaware lake I know they are there. I have been fishing the mouth to one bay getting the gills fished until about 730-8 the other night. About 6 the screen lite up like a Christmas tree suspended fish from 2 ft to 6 ft in 8-9fow could buy a bite and I tried everything. Gonna start searching

Treble

• View Profile

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
You lookin' for these?

« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 09:52:24 AM by icebucketjohn »
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
That's not right john! Haha I'm not greedy just want. Few lol.

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
So do I.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile
Try searching the basin for suspended fish , drill a lot of holes and go back through with your Flasher . The suspended marks should be crappie . They will cruise around in the basin this time of year . Fish a hole with marks until it goes cold then check other holes for marks . You will be moving around a lot ,but it will be worth it  .  Good luck . PS I drill my holes in a wagon wheel paternal about 25 paces apart .

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
We fished a bunch of different areas today. Not much luck so we went back to the spot where we have been getting the gills. Towards dark the crappie started to move in. Got 5 keepers and almost 30 gills in about 3 hrs. Was pretty nice! One crappie my wife got was pushing 14" and was thick and wide! Wanted to stay after dark but didn't have a lantern. Goin back tomorrow. Ice was 8" to 10" every where we went.

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Looks like you found em!!  I'll spare the lecture then.  ;D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Vexilar