Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Transitional Period

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'm speculating we're in a transitional period moving from early ice fishing conditions to mid season.  Consequently, those fish may be on the move from shallow areas to deeper, suspended areas resulting in their feeding habits changing too. 

Adjust your fishing techniques accordingly.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

snag

• View Profile
All I know is I got shut out Sunday afternoon for the first time this year.  Thought I'd do a little exploring and try out a new area.

This time of year sometimes getting shut out comes with the territory.

Still beats no ice!   

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Yes you're right.  Marked nothing shallow this morning at Nimi, but backed out over an old road bed in 11' and got into the bull gills.  Only lasted hour and a half, cold plus still not feeling good.  Will post pic later.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Crappies at Nimmi hit after dark last night.  Not much in the bucket from daylight fishing.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

Treble

• View Profile
It's been hit or miss for me all season. No consistency..... Lota work drilling holes and moving. Not complaining, I know it kinda goes w/the territory, but you'd think the hot spots would produce fish for a couple days lol.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
im seeing a lot of suspended fish lately 8 :-\ moving around.
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Treble

• View Profile
Ive noticed the same thing.  I fished lake milton tuesday, everytime I moved my bait up to the mark it dissapeared....  Mighta been shad idk, but sure was frustrating.

steelneyes

• View Profile
Nows when the deep water structures you may have marked during the fall pay off.  Or a map consult.  Shallow water weeds are ding fast with the snow cover and thick ice.  We've got a good group on here, will keep it going and help each other through what looks to be a LOOOONG season!
Spud one, spud two, if it went through, so will you!

Vexilar