Ice Fish Ohio Forum

ice or concrete ?

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
well folks I put new blades on my drill because I thought the old ones were dull  :P but they didn't get much use last couple years... but much to my surprise NOT  :o  the ice this year is like cement, not complaining after the last couple years, but maybe its time I got modern and went electric, drilling 8" by hand my old butt gets tired and limits my moving around..so what do you guys say    electric or gas   ???
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Gas, gas, gas!!!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
I always used a 8 in. auger,but now use a 6 in. alot easier to crank.
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

snag

• View Profile
Save your money and do like I do......when the ice gets thick, take some young kid along with you.  They never tire ... :)

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I drill too many holes even for a kid.  ;D  The gas gives me mobility and saves my torn rotator cuff. Only drawback is no on Mogadore.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

wetline1

• View Profile
Sure is a good problem to have. Love those gas augers ;D

Minnowhead

• View Profile
Propane!  ;)
Throwing ice cubes in the lake all summer long!

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
thinkin of modifying one of my heavy weed eaters
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

g

• View Profile

snag

• View Profile
slabslayer...I ran into a guy at Mogodore that had a gas powered auger....I told him to be careful because I thought that it was illegal to use one out there.  He said someone else told him that so he called about it and some authority figure told him they can be used.  You might want to call District 3 for confirmation....... 

Evinrude58

• View Profile
There is a big thread about gas augers on Moggy on the OGF site. According to Akron no gas augers are allowed however propane ones are.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
They're technically not allowed, though I don't understand why not. It's not like a boat motor where the 2 cycle oil gets in the water a little. No part of the motor on an auger ever touches the ice or water. There's more contaminates that come from the plows throwing snow/ice chunks onto the lake than could ever come from a handful of guys with gas augers.

Team Wilcraft!

slowmovinj

• View Profile
  :) I use a Dewalt 20 v Li-ion drill on my modified auger..if i had to drill by hand, i would only fish out of one hole. Drilling by hand is for the birds..

Vexilar