Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Crappie bite

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
Anyone got some favorite crappie lures and or bait combinations? I'm planning for Chippewa tomorrow, any crappie tips would be appreciated too
Lake Medina, Ledge lake, Hinkley lake, Wallace Lake, Spencer lake, judges Lake, Plumb creek, Buckeye woods, Hubbard valley, Chippewa Lake, Portage Lakes Findlay State Park

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
I've been getting mine on tungsten jigs tipped with either mousies or two waxies just hooked thru the head so they dangle.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
This year its been jigging spoons with either 2 waxies or 3 maggots.  Purple, chartreuce, and black/silver have been 3 best colors for me. 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
What size spoons? I have a few #2 sweedish pimples, and a couple that are just a little bigger?
Lake Medina, Ledge lake, Hinkley lake, Wallace Lake, Spencer lake, judges Lake, Plumb creek, Buckeye woods, Hubbard valley, Chippewa Lake, Portage Lakes Findlay State Park

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Spoons have been small. They're the Northland Forage Minnow in the 2 smallest sizes. I can't remember what those sizes are off the top of my head. They also have the blood red treble hook. If I'm not getting bit with that hook, I'll switch it out for a single hook on a small chain tipped with a single spike. That seems to turn on fickle crappies because it gives them something different to look at that most guys don't use. That hook on a chain behaves totally differently than a treble on a split ring.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

ERFishers

• View Profile
Slayer- do you make your chain drop down rigs or buy them. I know you can take them off the hali jigs or order them. Just wondered hard to find them in central Ohio.
Thanks

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
You can buy the chains with hooks for the Hali jigs separately. I found them online. But I'm sure Mark's, A&C, or Mogadore either have them or can get them quickly. Then you can make any jig or spoon into a chain hook lure and totally change the action.

Team Wilcraft!

ERFishers

• View Profile
Thanks for the info Slayer. Have made my own over the years and have always heard the Hali chains break easy so thought I woud get some information from someone that used them often. Run mine under a kastmaster.

Vexilar