Ice Fish Ohio Forum

first time eye ice fishing Lake Erie!

smf8880

• View Profile
Me and my buddys went up to Catawba and tried fishing for the eyes up there for the first time yesterday and pulled out 3 limits. All we had were our ultra light crappie rods with 4 lb test and we're having a blast. I'm definitely addicted and can't wait to get up there again! The bite was definitely on yesterday!

LeeinOH

• Niles McKinley #794
    • View Profile
Looks like a blast.  Great pics.  More info pls???? What were they hitting on???   Guessing it was an all day bite.

smf8880

• View Profile
Sorry yeah the info is probably a good idea lol! We were in 28 fow using #5 sweetish pimples with a 3" red stinger and every hook was tipped with minnows. Green/gold and green/silver being the ticket. We didn't get fishing until 10:30 am cause we were trying to catch crappie in lorain with no luck and made the decision to try walleye up there until 8:30. We didn't hook our first fish until 12 lost it at the hole then landed one 15 minutes later. It got quiet till 2:00 and was nonstop till dark , lost as many as we landed and had a blast! Not bad for our first time walleye fishing though the ice! Ice was 14-16 inches where we were.

pdfish

• View Profile
Good times,
How far out were you? North or West?
did you walk? how was the snow?
thanks,
Dan

smf8880

• View Profile
Yeah we were roughly 2 miles north of the miller ferry. We walked and it really wasn't that bad. It's was definitely a hike but obviously well worth it! The snow wasn't bad at all seeing how is was packed pretty well. Rickards bait shop told us to go 3 miles west of Catawba State Park but we didn't listen cause we saw the pack of guys only two miles north and that walk sounded better! Glad we didn't go west. Sunday my buddy went to the same spot and they got 5 using the same set up. I'll be back this weekend if work allows!

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Great Job and Great Post! I think this would be a great post under the lake Erie board but i understand why you placed it under the pictures.

Let me know what you think?

Thanks for the great post!
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

Vexilar