Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Limit confusion

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
On the ODNR site it lists the general state wide limits, bluegill and crappie arent on there, at the bottom it says

"all other species-
minimum size: none
daily limit: None

Does this mean you can keep whatever? Or does it mean you can't keep any? I've been wondering for years and figured I'd askhere
Lake Medina, Ledge lake, Hinkley lake, Wallace Lake, Spencer lake, judges Lake, Plumb creek, Buckeye woods, Hubbard valley, Chippewa Lake, Portage Lakes Findlay State Park

handymanjeff

• Global Moderator
  • Ice Fishing...The ONLY way we'll walk on water!
    • View Profile
Means you can keep any size bluegills and crappie that you want and as many as you want. Other states limit the number of panfish (normally bluegills and crappie) that you can keep each day (normally no size limit) but not Ohio : exception to this is certain waters, ie. Lake LaSuAnn and some other reservoirs and lakes. These limits will be posted at most locations that have limits.
Jeff Gunn

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
FishStyx Custom Rods
Vexilar
Open Water Wear
Grandpa Bob's Custom Jigs
Rajus
Ardent Reels
Eurotackle
Grund-L Custom Lures
Zeko Shoes
Liquid Mayhem

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
Cool thanks for the info
Lake Medina, Ledge lake, Hinkley lake, Wallace Lake, Spencer lake, judges Lake, Plumb creek, Buckeye woods, Hubbard valley, Chippewa Lake, Portage Lakes Findlay State Park

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
check all the regs, because there are site specific rules for different waters and crappies have a 9 " limit on most places, look at the regs for the water you want to fish , and even times of the year have regs on fishing.... 8) ps there are site specific for crappy limits 30
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 07:38:45 PM by snowcone »
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
I thought last year the 9" length  and 30 per person limit went into affect for all reservoirs state wide? Maybe just all the ones I fish? Not sure but I remember hearing something like that. As far as gills go there's no size limit or daily limit that I am aware of. Except for certain spots like la su ann

muskarp

• View Profile
Best way to go through the reg's is like this: Let's say your fishing Buckeye, start with the site specific reg's and see what all fish have Buckeye next to them, then go to the statewide reg's if the specie your catching is not shown under site specific reg's, if it's not under either there is no size or bag limit for the lake/ specie combination your checking (i.e Buckeye: saugeye 15"-6/day, crappie 9"-30/day, LMB doesn't have site specific so it falls under the statewide 12"-5/day, bluegill have no length or bag limit, perch have no length but fall under the statewide 40/day limit)

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
I had looked for Chippewa lak under the specifics but couldn't find it so I was in a little bit of a pickle trying to interpret the statewide limit

Vexilar