Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Huron or cranberry anyone ???

Chilly willy

• View Profile
Wondering if anyone has fished Huron or cranberry creek ? Not felling up to a 2 mile walk and was wondering if there was any fish being caught closer to shore ? Never iced at erie and any help would be appreciated !!

Mullygyn

You can get em at the first Christmas tree on Catawba. Half mile.

Chilly willy

• View Profile

ace71

• fish on
    • View Profile
1/2 mile west north nw how deep is water we are walkin out sun from cataba would be awesome to get some closer wallye or perch ? thanks also is actual xmas tree i now they use them to mark ice roads just making sure first time trying big lake

llw

• View Profile
Basically straight west from the beach at the state park.  There are two trees, yes, actual xmas trees that mark the safest path offshore.  I'm not sure how deep it is there and I can't confirm that people are catching antyhing there, most everyone is fishing much farther out.  Don't go near the cliffs along the shoreline to the north, strong currents there make the ice unsafe.  Just head straight west out of the park, then head north if you want to after going west at least a few hundred yards. 

I'm planning on walking out Sunday morning myself.  I am keeping an ear open for any close spots for perch and I'll reply here if I get any good info. 

ace71

• fish on
    • View Profile

joewallguy

• View Profile
I would not attempt to ice fish lake Erie off either location. You would be the only one I can assure you. Ice not safe there.

llw

• View Profile
Hearing north of Miller Ferry dock about a mile is where people are targeting some perch within easy walking distance.  Also White's Landing in Sandusky Bay.  May be some crappie there as well.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 09:19:24 AM by llw »

zztide

• View Profile
was there tuesday 1/2 mile out got nothing had camera going in every hole and did not see any fish of any kind ,pack of shanty's about 2 miles northwest of state park  with limit walleye 's but to far to walk dragging a sled ,drove by miller ferry and about 1 mile out pack of 40 shanty's

joewallguy

• View Profile
I also would not recommend going out of miller ferry area. Those shantys u see north of mouse island are mostly guides that ran out way west and north coming from catawaba or from south bass island. Look on ogf.  several horror stories from that area one just happen the other day where the quad,  all gear, and there walleyes,  including them went into the drink. Thankfully no loss of life. I know at least half a dozen machines have goons in over there in the past few weeks. One guy was just fishing there last week on 6" of clear n 6" cloudy ice.  yesterday he said all clear ice is gone. Just cloudy crap.  that area is high current area and most any experienced guy stays clear of that area. I know people are doing it, I know they are catching fish, however fishing is good off catawaba and crane creek.  why risk it.............don't die over fish. ! Literally

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Thanks for these reports on the ice! I think all off us thinks the ice is great and it is not.

I wanted to come out on Tuesday. Is there a safe area to walk?
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

E- man

• View Profile
Went out of Catawba 13th. Didn't get any fish. The few guys I encountered while looking for fish had about the same results. I personally saw 3 fish on the ice. Most guys said a very tough bite. There was some reports of a few guys doing OK. Just had to be lucky enough to land on a pod of active fish and get the right presentation in front of them.I did mark fish and tried different jigs and lures fast slow etc. That's the way it goes somedays.Go due west. trails are plain to see as of 13th. You,ll see the "crack" as long as it's light when you go out. Be careful and watch where most guys head. Can't miss the "Packs".Be safe& good luck. :)

Vexilar