Poll

7 days of Ice fishing left in the season? under~Over

Under
Over

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
From the weather reports here, it looks as though the ice will fade at a rapid pace. So how many days do YOU think there will be safe ice?
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
It only looks bad Friday and Saturday, then back down in the low 30's for highs. I think we'll have thru the first week of March at least. I really want it to be good (the weather and the ice) for the Nimi tournament next Sunday. It sure looks like the Wingfoot event on Saturday will be sloppy though. I just hope the foot of ice will handle 24 hours of warm and some rain.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
I think its gonna go pretty fast. More than 7 days but not much more. Once you get all this water on top it will get nasty fast I believe... It sucks but we will have to play it by ear
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
I think a lot of spots in central oh will be done by the middle of this week. It does suck but that's the way it goes. Been a good season so far. It's supposed to be in the 40s and 50s here w rain and melt running in its gonna eat it up fast.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The melt run off is what worries me.  :-\
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

trapperjon

• View Profile
no worries here......  i'll just go to depot and get a longer plank  ;D   the lake I was on yesterday had 10" of clear with 4" of crap white ice on top of that, i'm thinking this short warm up will just clean the crap off of the top.

swedish nipple

• just like fishining out of a barrell
    • View Profile
I think it will last longer than 7 days. How long depends on the week following the warm up. Im seeing highs and lows below freezing.
Spencer Lake, Wellington, Willard, Chippewa, Oberlin

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
As long as it's good for the Nimi tournament next weekend, I'm a happy man!! ;D ;D

Team Wilcraft!

swedish nipple

• just like fishining out of a barrell
    • View Profile
Anyone hear how much rain we are supposed to get?
Cant find a number.
Spencer Lake, Wellington, Willard, Chippewa, Oberlin

Strongpersuader

• View Profile
All this brief warm up is going to do is get rid all the snow then it's back down into overnight lows to mid teens for 4-5 days after. We shouldn't lose a lot on most lakes. We will be good into March for about a week. I'm kinda looking forward to it, no snow=easy pullin again!  8)

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
I remember about 10 years ago i fished on a golf course pond on March 14th.

It was 70 degrees out. The middle of the pond had 12 inches but the sides were going fast. I didn't know then about putting a board across. Could have gotten in a few more days.

I need to get out this weekend.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

LeeinOH

• Niles McKinley #794
    • View Profile
Its been years since we've had ice like this.  Not used to drilling 12".  I think it'll last. On the good side though, happy to be going back to work!!!!!! And got a great deal on a boat for the spring so I'm looking forward to that.  I think we're fishin hard water for longer than the next week.

fishingful

• View Profile
Yep blow the snow off loose a little. Going to do the polar bear jump at portage next sat so loose a day there. But its for charity.

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
Grand Lake St. Marys had places with 25" of ice, yesterday on Indian I had in most places 16-18" , but the snow was so heavy in places when you drilled a hole you were standing in 2 inches of water

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
It's not as warm as they originally thought.  It may be sloppy for the Wingfoot and Nimi tournaments, but I think the ice will survive just fine. Sunday is going to be cold again, so I think we'll be fishing on ice into March.

Team Wilcraft!

Vexilar