Ice Fish Ohio Forum

full moon and hard water

trapperjon

• View Profile
wanting to see others opinions on ice fishing during a full moon phase, how does it effect fishing and why ?  spent yesterday on a private lake which has been a unbelievable gill producer, LARGE AND LOTS, but not so much yesterday only 34 gills and 2 crappie,  they were there but not biting like they have been, barometer was holding or slightly dropping, only thing I could think of was the full moon. I've heard talk about it before but can't find the post, soooo what do you think ?  JON

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
There's validity in that, but sometimes you just have to coax them into biting.  That was case today, they were all over Nesmith Lake, but had to work for a fish.  They were nice ones, but reluctant biters.  Moon and barometer DEFINATELY affects fishing.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Icetester

• View Profile
Go get em at night. I have had mixed results all over the board around the full moon phase. Everyday is a new adventure no matter what's going on, thats about all I really have. The solar tables had yesterday being the best day, longest activity, highest value. The bite was slow all day for me. I remember hammering fish on the least valued days as well. I do like fishing nights though for crappie during this time. A full moon in clear skies at night pulling crappies outside the shanty is where it's at.

Vexilar