Ice Fish Ohio Forum

2/18/14

mousejam515

• View Profile
Me and my brother and 2 friends drove through the blizzard to Catawba state park to go on a air-boat guided ice fishing trip. We rode approximately 4 miles around the island to someplace between mouse island reef and starve island reef. We were in 28 foot of water. We ended up with only 6 fish. The current was really strong most of the day. I landed 2 and lost 2 at the hole ( stuck on ice/ lack of gaffing skills). The fish came on silver and gold pimples, silver/blue buckshot spoon, purple pimple, and jigging shad raps. Not many fish but still great memories ,that will last a lifetime, of fishing with my brother. I dont think i will ever forget when I had the biggest fish i have ever hooked, on ice, at the hole and he tried to gaff it. Then when he said "o no" and i look over to see my spoon wrapped around the gaff. Good times.

James

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Thanks for the report. At least you got a few!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

phishyone1

• When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
    • View Profile
Sounds like a great time.............. I hope we get a few more trips up myself........ I'm shooting for Monday or Tuesday weather permitting
Thank you,
Pete Sekerak (Phishyone1)

mousejam515

• View Profile
Ya since I bought enough gear this year it would be nice to go again. I am thinking about trying to walk out Monday too.  Sounds like they are sending the ice cutter to the islands next week. I'm already a little nervous since it got warm. I'm not sure how much that will affect the area people fish.

http://coastguardnews.com/?p=42290

g

• View Profile
Crap. Hopefully it won't happen. Thanks for the heads-up about the tug.

xtown icer

• View Profile
If this report is correct, they will stay on the east side of s. bass and go to millers. That shouldn't be too bad. The weather forecast for next ten days looks good for closing up cracks and firming things up good. I hope so I'm planning a 3/8 trip.

Vexilar