Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Line Preference For Lake Erie Walleyes

Meatgitter

• View Profile
Im running 27'M fenwick elite techs with shimano sienna 500fd. What is the best size line for fighting them big eyes in 25 fow? I would like to get a few opinions. Some say 8lb. is just fine and others have told me up to 17lb. test.

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
I'm a big fan of 10 or 12 pound fluorocarbon line.  Barrel swivel and then your lure.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

Meatgitter

• View Profile
Ok i spooled up with trilene xl 14 lb. for my first time up there last weekend.I did catch a nice 9.2lb walleye on it without a problem but the heavy line wanted to auto feed off of my spool. I managed to keep it from birdnesting but it was pretty annoying. I will jump down to a 10-12 lb flouro and see how it performs.Im thinking the heavier line just dont like wrapping around the smaller, tighter spools.Thank you for the reply!

swedish nipple

• just like fishining out of a barrell
    • View Profile
I use 8lb p-line flouro ice.  I've landed all 8 fish that I have hooked this year. 4 of them have been over 30" & 9 lbs. It has less memory than pure flourocarbon. That way when when you spool it onto the smaller ice reals it doesn't coil as much. It is less brittle in the freezing temps also.
I use this on my steelhead rods when river fishing after ice off so I can assure you it is strong enough to pull in Lake Eries monster eyes.
Spencer Lake, Wellington, Willard, Chippewa, Oberlin

chub

• View Profile
I also love the p-line floro-clear or ice 6 pound up here for saugeyes and 8 or max 10 on erie

Vexilar