Ice Fish Ohio Forum

New Honda powered StrikeMaster

walleyeguy

• View Profile
Just received my Honda powered StrikeMaster to replace the ION I just sold. Filled it with gas 2 pulls and it runs like a top. I was nervous that being a 4 stroke it would be to heavy for me to carry, but it nice and lite weight. Perfect!  I’m certainly not going to miss the ion

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Just curious why you sold the ION?

I haven't heard any negatives about it, with the exception of the price ($499).

BTW., I think the 4 stroke engine is the way to go in terms of gasoline units.  No worries with under or over mixing.  Less hassles too.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

walleyeguy

• View Profile
There are issues with the blades, they didnt stay sharp. Its a common problem and the factory is replacing the blades with new ones. but they arnt any better. the unit is heavy with the the battery on it. it does hold a good charge, it will outlast the blades. I had a 1980's jiffy that was to heavy for my advanced age and went that route and it didnt work out.  the season is just to short to mess around.

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
I thought you liked replacing blades midway through a hole!
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

walleyeguy

• View Profile

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
Is the Honda lighter than the ion?
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Thats awesome. I love anything Honda, still got a couple weeks to use it!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

chaunc

• View Profile
There are issues with the blades, they didnt stay sharp. Its a common problem and the factory is replacing the blades with new ones. but they arnt any better. the unit is heavy with the the battery on it. it does hold a good charge, it will outlast the blades. I had a 1980's jiffy that was to heavy for my advanced age and went that route and it didnt work out.  the season is just to short to mess around.
I'm on my second year with my ION and cant agree with you about the blade problem. I've got to be close to 450 holes with mine by now and never had a problem with the blades. I forgot to bring the battery in the house one time in the early season sub-zero temps and only got around 25 holes the next morning before the battery bogged down on me but it wasn't the blades. Thanks for the heads up info tho. I'll post when i have to replace the blades. By the way, roughly how many holes before your blades were shot?

walleyeguy

• View Profile
I'm on my second year with my ION and cant agree with you about the blade problem. I've got to be close to 450 holes with mine by now and never had a problem with the blades. I forgot to bring the battery in the house one time in the early season sub-zero temps and only got around 25 holes the next morning before the battery bogged down on me but it wasn't the blades. Thanks for the heads up info tho. I'll post when i have to replace the blades. By the way, roughly how many holes before your blades were shot?

Wes. its weighs more than the ion but not much.

I was going about 50-60 holes and big chunks were coming off of the blade. I liked the concept. and bought a spare battery and never needed it.

chaunc

• View Profile
Fished 2 more days since last post and still no problem with the blades. 3 of us the first day cut around 25 to 30 holes trying to find the fish and 2 of us, at a diffrent lake, cut 15. So thats another 40 to 45 holes. If there's a blade issue, i'm glad it was just an isolated issue as i've been checking all the ice sites and cant find another report about the blades. Would you direct me to the site with all the blade issue threads? I invested a lot of money in my Ion and i'd really like to know as much as i can about it.

walleyeguy

• View Profile
I contacted the factory. I dont know of any other websites with this issue listed. I dont to much on the web. They asked for a s/n# and mailed them out. Im sure i jumped the gun selling it.

chaunc

• View Profile
I contacted the factory. I dont know of any other websites with this issue listed. I dont to much on the web. They asked for a s/n# and mailed them out. Im sure i jumped the gun selling it.
Not knocking your choice to sell it. I just wanted to know what to look forward to with my investment. I've had 2 strikemasters before. An electra 2000 and a gas model. The electra didn't give me enough holes and i live in an apartment building so i had no where to keep the gas model. This ion serves me very well. Enjoy your strikemaster. It's a very good auger.

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
Eskimo Mako 43cc! cheap, heavy, but can pop some holes! no blade issues!
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

Vexilar