Ice Fish Ohio Forum

**SAFETY ALERT** (comic relief)

td31 · 11 · 7144

td31

• View Profile
Yesterday, March 3rd, CrappieKiller and I hit Lake Mohawk in search of some of those jumbos and slabs... We did well, no real monsters, but caught some nice crappies, perch, and gills along with quite a few little ones.
During one of the slow stretches, I grabbed my Vexi, got out of the shanty and did a little hole hopping. After a few holes with no marks, I found a hole and got one to chase my tiny jigging rap..Bang, a nice perch. I laid my rod down on the ice and walked over to show Crappie Killer the nice yellow. I put the perch down with the other keepers and returned to the hole. I picked up my rod and noticed that there was some ice buildup on the swim fin of the tiny rap. Doing what any iceman would do, I put the lure in my mouth to melt the ice. Well, as most of you know, the tiny treble on the bottom of those little jigging raps are pretty damn sharp. The treble got hooked on the little piece of skin under my tongue that connects it to the bottom of my mouth. Oh S--t! I unsuccessfully tried to pull it out and nearly got the other two hooks caught in my tongue. Now, picture this...There I am, hands frozen, standing in a near white out with a jigging rap with 5 tiny razor sharp hooks stuck UNDER my tongue. I walk back to the shanty, and in a barely decipherable, pretty much the worst lisp speech impediment voice ever, I say. " Dude, I need help." He zips the door open and looks at me like "Who is this crazy SOB that I decided to go fishing with." I muttered "Just get it out, I don't care what you have to do." The look on his face as he says "Dude, its not good, but I can get it" was priceless. With one sharp pull, he yanked it out and I bled like a stuck pig.(Couldve been from my beverage choices from the night before). Long story short, I was fine, spit blood for an hour or so and caught some more nice fish on that damn rap. I have a nice sore spot under my tongue that I feel every time I talk, drink, etc. Pretty embarrassing story, but, I had to share. **SAFETY ALERT** Under no circumstances, DO NOT put a jigging rapala into your mouth for any reason.

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Wow, I am in pain from reading that!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
OUCH!!!
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

harderd07

• View Profile
Makes me cringe lol. Glad you didn't have to make a trip to the ER to have it removed.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Don't feel bad, you're not alone.  I didn't do that with a jigging rap, but this morning I almost ran a sheriff off the road. The reason was I just opened a new #2 pimple and buried the hook in my finger when I hit a hole in the road. I almost ran him off the road as I was digging it out with my pliers. I was so glad he didn't turn around!!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Wow,there are probably other ways to de-ice your rapala,dont think I wiuld put hooks around my mouth,could've ruined a perfectly good day of fishing :-\
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
here ya go  8) three of us in my boat my best friend brought a new guy . im in the back new guy up front , we all were throwing crank baits feverishly  ;D  bass were HOT,  I looked up to see new guy yanking and yanking like he was hung in a tree  :P looked at my buddy jeff and saw new guys crank bait with all three hooks buried in jeffs face... :o :o :o holy s..t  ...well to make a long story short, jeff said to me as he stood there in frozen pain  CUT THEM OUT ..wow ...my first aid kit had a small scalpel , super glue, band aids,,  ect.  so sweat streaming down my face from the demand I fillet all three loose , cleaned the cuts and super glued the cuts closed and jeff continued fishing not saying a word for hours.. :o :P :-\ :'(  ... well new guy never went with us again to say the least... but  still to this day I cant get that out of my head , the look on jeffs face as new guy was yanking ...WOW :o....
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
I have never heard anyone getting hooked in the mouth. That should win a prize. I will have to see what i have in the garage. ;D

I once fell coming down the rocks at hoover dam. I was fishing alone and it was raining. Walking down the rocks i started to slip so i decided to try and run it out and land on the ground. I made it past the rocks and fell to the ground. I stuck the jerk bait into my hand and fell on top of my hand and it went tight to my chest in my rain suit. It was in my right hand and chest. At the time I had a stick shift so i could not drive home. Went to use the pay phone and the cord was cut off. This was before cell phones. Had to walk home with the jerk bait in my hand and chest.

Called Mom and she drove me to the hospital. Lesson learned. Don't fish on wet dam rocks with a jerk bait!
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

wetline1

• View Profile
Funny now, but what an alarming situation. If by chance anyone gets a barbed hook of any type stuck in them, the best thing to do is to push the hook through so that the barbed end comes through the skin. At that point, cut off the barb, and the hook will slide out from the direction that it entered with minimal damage. I saw this firsthand when I lived in Florida, and my son's friend hooked him in the tendon behind the knee. The hook will undoubtedly do much more damage if you attempt to pull it out from the same direction it went in if the hook is buried. Just goes to show, there's definitely no IQ requirement to fish.

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
that sounds like it would be absolutely horrible! Those tiny jigging wrap hooks get my fingers every time!
Lake Medina, Ledge lake, Hinkley lake, Wallace Lake, Spencer lake, judges Lake, Plumb creek, Buckeye woods, Hubbard valley, Chippewa Lake, Portage Lakes Findlay State Park

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
I have a home made gaft hook from a 10/0 treble hook screwed to a 2' section of a broken shovel handle, hung it up temporarly on the corner of the closet door by the point so the handly hung towards the ground, bumped the door and it fell off and sunk about 3/4's of an inch into my arm before stoping on the bone. Hurt like hell, I'm just glad I filed the barb off when I built it....
Lake Medina, Ledge lake, Hinkley lake, Wallace Lake, Spencer lake, judges Lake, Plumb creek, Buckeye woods, Hubbard valley, Chippewa Lake, Portage Lakes Findlay State Park

Vexilar