Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Wellington

SBR · 3 · 7054

SBR

• View Profile
Tried Wellington after fishing in akron yesterday, got one very small Perch. Pretty fish, but as far as any keepers, nothing. But on a good note I think the Perch are reproducing well there. I think the next couple years the Perch size willbe much better. Any idea when those Perch were stocked? Big fish have to be in Wellington, one would assume. Any thoughts?

Icetester

• View Profile
Perch have been present the last 30 years there. They actually were a lot bigger long ago. They have infested the unground right now. I have easily drilled 300 holes there this year. I've fished the entire lake with a few friends over this ice season. This was the worst year ever, period. 90% of the holes you drill will be loaded with tiny perch. We caught 1-11" perch this season. No crappie over 8". And not many gills at all. Most gills have black spots all over them, it's been increasingly getting worse. The grass in the lake changed early last year, and things have gone downhill. We did catch a big pike, a big cat, a few bass, hundreds of tiny perch and a good handful of gills, but the lake has taken a beating from fisherman and whoever or whatever it was that screwed with the grass in that lake. The north end used to have deep water weed beds, not any longer, spent hours with the camera underwater and it just doesn't exist up north. The perch will not grow the way you think they would. The lake is on the decline instead of the other way. I've watched this lake for going on 30 years, before the internet, this place was a jewel of jewels. Now it's just another public declining water hole. The internet works both ways, some good some bad, this just happens to be the bad. good luck.

SBR

• View Profile
That's not the new I was looking for man! Oh, well. We tried Oberlin today, all fingerling Crappie. I would have thought we could have got some of the bigger Crappie to bite, but no joy. We are heading to New London tomorrow if you're interested.

Vexilar