Ice Fish Ohio Forum

auger blades

wannafish

• View Profile
is anyone else having a problem with there auger blades going dull really fast? i have an Eskimo barracuda 8 inch and im on my third set this season i have not tried re-drilling holes or drilled through any debris i have been thinking about getting a strikemaster mora figured id post on here and see how everyone else's luck has been

fishingful

• View Profile
I had an eskimo 6 in. Bought it new and that thing was junk. Went back to a Mora. It ate blades.

zrinyi1

• View Profile
I bought my first auger this year - an 8" Frabill with curved blades.  It has worked great.  No problems with the blades going dull. 

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
I have a 8" Eskimo Mako 43 8" (4) years same blades. still sharp! I also have a strikemaster 5" (hand) and I had to sharpen the blades 4-5 times.
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
The blades were not sharpened right send them into the manufacturer.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

wannafish

• View Profile
all the blades ive had were eskimo the first set came with the auger i bought a second set which lasted around 15 holes and the third set are not completely dull yet but they have about 15 holes on the and they  also came from eskimo when the auger is not in use the blade cover goes back on immediately just seeming to have bad luck im looking to buy an 8 inch mako but i wanna keep a hand auger around for back up just wondering if i will have any better luck with a mora

E- man

• View Profile
Also have Eskimo Mako 43. Hit dirty ice after about 6 or 8 holes & that did the blades in. Took my knife stone and polished them back up with good results. Have drilled at least 20 holes at Erie where the ice was 17-18". Still cutting fine the last time out, which by the way was my last time out for this season.:)  P.S. Doesn't take much "dirt" to dull your blades; also don't force the auger, too much pressure will take the edge off the blades. The weight of the auger should be enough to cut the ice if your blades are sharp.

snag

• View Profile
I have  Mora 6".  I'm on my second year with the same blades and they still cut great. This year it really got a workout too.  One of the key things to remember is to not bang it on the ice.  Once a blade gets the tiniest burr in it, it will plane upwards.  Just lay the auger blades on the ice and let the rotation do the work. 

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
I watched (walleyeguy) struggle with his ION on Indian. He had a sled full of blades that looked like he tried to drill through the boat ramp. IDK seems like some people have bad luck with auger blades! 
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
One of the key things to remember is to not bang it on the ice. 

I watched countless seasoned anglers from this site do that this winter when it was real cold.
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Not banging them is critical!   I have a Strikemaster Lazer gas auger and am on my fourth year with the same blades. Never sharpened yet either, key is to never bang them on the ice and get that cover back on as soon as you're done drilling!   I know last 2 years haven't used it much, but I've fished 50+ days this ice season and never had a problem. And anyone who fishes with me knows how many holes I drill!!   ;D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Vexilar