Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Heading up this weekend

Jawjacker12

• View Profile
Hey all looking to be up there this weekend. Where would be a good spot for this weekend to start. We will have a 4 wheeler. Any info would be awesome!!!

erierider

• Global Moderator
  • I have a Chubby!
    • View Profile
Not getting into the whole should I go or should I stay debate. I will tell you what I know as of today. Better yet here is a story on it.

http://www.portclintonnewsherald.com/article/20140312/NEWS01/303120006/Men-rescued-after-falling-through-Lake-Erie-ice

It is your decision to go and can only advise of what I know. I do know there were gale force winds here yesterday. Prior to those winds is when incident from the article occurred. So things were moving prior. Is the ice good?? Is it bad?? That is your call. I do know that one guy put his wheels through off Camp Perry Tuesday, the day the others went in. There is a 50 degree day due here Friday and we have alot of snow on the ground here. With that warm up, it is going to push alot of warm water into the rivers and into the lake. Resulting in some undercutting from warmth and current.

Long and short, I can't tell you what to do. I have driven a car on the ice on a dare when I was younger, would I do it today??? Heck no!! So it has to be a decision based on your personal life, your level of comfort etc.

Me, I have the luck of fishing Erie year 'round and that's the only place I fish. So it is not a big deal to miss out on a weekend. I have tons of stuff to do to get ready for the open water season. So at this point I think if you do decide to go, be prepared and informed.

I may be changing my mind and go this weekend but I just have something in the back of my mind saying stay home, so that's what I am leaning towards. Last time when my voice said stay home, I should have listened, as the day sucked!!

It has been a great season but all good things must end!!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 10:02:07 AM by erierider »
Ice Fish Ohio
Pro Staff
Team Dreamweaver Spoons
Orange Crush Reef Runner Troller

eyeguy1

• View Profile
Fished yesterday the 13th with no problems . Fished West Of Crane Creek with no slush or soft spots seen . Ice was still 16 inches which most was nice clear ice with  a couple inches of white ice on top and very smooth . Sleds that were not fan cooled had overheating problems today due to no snow or water on the ice   .Cracks were not an issue at all but this late in the season that can change daily .

Fishing was good in the group we fished with . All 9 guys limited .

The link above was in an area that is very well known for current and is usually one of the first places to go to hell due to that . Out west we had no current what so ever . Still lots of ice and it is still pretty much locked from the South shore to the North shore . I would personally stay away from the Catawba area unless your in an Air boat .

Dale     

pdfish

• View Profile
Hey Dale,
How far out did you go? what depth,
thanks,
Dan

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Fishing has been good over the weekend from what I hear and the actual reports I have heard from people who have been out said the ice wasn't horrible just use caution after wednesday you can probably kiss it good bye!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

Vexilar