Ice Fish Ohio Forum

2013/2014 ice season, how'd you rate it?

Poll

How was your season?  

Great, lots of fish!
13 (54.2%)
Average success.
1 (4.2%)
Couldn't buy a bite most days.
2 (8.3%)
Just happy we had lots of ice!!
8 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 24

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Just wondering what everyone thought about this ice season?  After 2 years of frustration and futility trying to ice fish in Ohio, we finally got a tremendous ice season.  At least in terms of time on the ice.  I met a lot of new fishermen on the ice this year and we had some great times out there.  Got to fish a new lake, Nesmith, for the first time and had some great days out there.  So glad to have met some great guys on the ice and look forward to it again next year!  

Many have complained about a below average year in terms of catch rates.  I'm just glad we had a good solid 3 months of ice fishing for once!  This year was an anomaly for me, it was the first time in an ice season I never got skunked on the ice.  I came close a couple days, and had to change spots several times some days, but always managed to catch something.  It was one of those special seasons that will probably never be repeated for me.  Next year I'll probably get skunked half the time.   ;D

Thanks to everyone who posted ice conditions, fishing reports, and some really cool pics.  I can't wait for next ice season.  But I think it's time to kiss 2013/2014 ice season goodbye.  See everyone on the soft water.  I'll try to keep posting reports here thru the summer.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

fishingful

• View Profile
Great season got tired of catching pan fish so chased bigger fish. Got into great gill fishing at wing foot, mogadore and mosquito along with a few eyes there. Mogadore perch and crappie. Finally found perch out there.  Berlin was a wash for me. But ended the season with a Erie trip for my birthday and ended up limiting both days. Took 37 years to break the 30in mark but did it 2 days in a row with 1 - 11.5 - 31in and 1 - 31in -  12lb

Wish I had more time to get out. Lost 2 weekends on vacation.

Great season.

crappiehunter

• View Profile
it was an amazing season for me this year. Me and my buddy ended up getting a late start but we totally made up for it between saltfork,turkey foot,nimisila and Atwood we caught tons of huge gills that were new personal bests for us. The crappie were a lot bigger as well, it was my buddies first time catching crappie ice fishing and seeing him pull in 10-12in crappie this year made it all worth while. Now hopefully we can have an amazing season like this next winter  ;D

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
Had a great season fishing with old friends,and some new ones,got plenty of fish,no complaints here,already looking forward to next year,so glad i found this site,lots of valuable info,and good people,thanks I.F.O.  :D
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Its been a great season on ice this year! I finally made it to erie and landed some dandy walleyes. I think its safe to say I need to prep the boat and tie up some harnesses,the post ice bite will be on soon!! I think next year if we have the ice we had this year, I will quit my job so I can fish every day with slab slayer,just to see if he really gets skunked or not!! :-)
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

Nwohioiceman123

• View Profile
It was an awesome season! Got to fish new lakes including Lake st clair and Lake erie. Caught some real nice including some jumbo perch. Got to help land a 12lbs walleye for a fellow IFO member out on erie. All this ice makes me want buy a gas auger ;D

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
was a hot season  ;D haven't seen ice like that since 76-77... 8)  lots of good times and glad 2 meet all you guys and if next season is near as good im glad I got a gas auger now.. :D :D ...my gear is stowed  :P and now its time 2 warm up the boats in the yard.. ;D I have a feeling because the winter was so brutal and the ice was so thick those fish will be hungry , real hungry  ;D I will be posting where I go on the weekends and how I do so , lets get the fish on guys..... ;)
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

snag

• View Profile
I have just one thing to say :

Ice fishermen......1     Al Gore.........0

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
AWESOME. Had my first limit of eyes January 10th and it never stopped. A solid two months of eye fishin on the lake is unheard of but man it was awesome! Didn't even have to mess with those little panfish more than a couple of weekends in dec :)
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

ML

• View Profile
Had a great season this year.  I was able to take my 9 yr old daughter and 6 yr old son out on the ice for their first time.  They each caught a fish!  That in itself made it a great season!  Was also able to get up on Erie for some great wallies!  4 of 7 fish we caught were Fish Ohio's!  Sometimes just sitting on that ice not hearing all the crap that makes you want to fish in the first place is worth it!  Any fish caught were a bonus! 

Hillbilly

• View Profile
had the best season ive ever had, and ive been doing this for awhile. Only the 3rd time i have icefished into march, and this year was the longest into march.

Keep in mind, im south of the "icebelt" for indiana or ohio, even though i travel to icefish.

Also keep in mind, i experienced almost 3 full weeks of what i would call the toughest fishing i have ever experienced... knowing when i hiked out, that marking a fish would be tough, getting it to bite would take a miracle... i was skunked once, with 1-2 fish days filling in the gaps of those 3 weeks.

all that being said, id take this year's ice till im either dead or unable to fish...if im unable to hike out, i'll pay somebody to drag me out there...

Parting words...every year i hope/pray/wish for a good ice season, and the requirements for a good ice season dont include catching fish, it only requires that i get the alotted time to get on the ice, the catching fish is up to me.

HB
P.s aside for the sob story of the 3 weeks, i also managed to catch a METRIC TON of fish, and some monsters. My goal is to fill the freezer during ice season...i did that in less than a week, and i eat ALOT of fish.
I didnt get the walleyes i had hoped for, and for those of you that know me, realise that i spent ALOT of time and MILES targeting them...depsite the zero, i wouldnt trade it for the world.

zrinyi1

• View Profile
It was my 1st season on the ice and it was great!  I didn't catch a ton of fish or anything big, but having an opportunity to be out during the winter is great.  For years I have sat around all winter waiting for spring to start fishing, but not any more.  I will definitely be on the ice again next year.

Erie Tom

• View Profile
Vote for D. Enjoyed having  the ice  to spend more time than the past years. Enjoyed  the fishing but spending  time with friends on  the ice and then catching a bite  to eat after and being  with old friends.

It's nice to catch fish but  better to be  with friends  on  the ice.

Now  we'll start  walking  the rivers until it is perchin' time!!!

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
I am glad we had the best ice ever, we deserved it after the last 2 years of bad ice.

The site really grew this season to a all time high. Members had great posts on the site and i enjoyed them.

I wish I could have got out more this season and now am looking forward to fishing this summer.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

Vexilar