Ice Fish Ohio Forum

What do you love about ice fishing?

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
What's your favorite thing about ice fishing?  We all love many things about it, but what's the #1 favorite?  For me its the early morning. The promise of a new day, the challenge of finding the fish, the sound of boots crunching on snow and ice as well as the sound of auger blades cutting thru thick ice.  I just love this sport and if I had to choose, I'd pick ice fishing over open water every time!
Your thoughts??
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
I couldn't agree more , getting to your spot just as the sun starts to brighten the morning sky! Snow crunching underfoot as you drag your gear in search of your first destination. The gush of water rising from a fresh drilled hole! That's what brings me back year after year, I would Take ice fishing 365!
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

Fishin 2

• View Profile
That crisp morning burning your nostrils as that first hole is drilled, drop your offering and IMMEDIATELY, a big red mark rises to your first offering !!! Getting goose bumps just thinking about it, FISH ON, best words you can hear. Cmon ice !! Mike
Take a Kid Fishing, You'll need the help Carrying Fish  !!

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
my favorite is after getting out to the spot, dragging my stuff, then drill holes, bait up after cleaning the ice from the hole and drop it in , unexpectedly  your rod is going crazy, you just got goin you say to yourself your bobber is gone.......at that moment the rush is so incredible that you keep doing it all your life................. ;)
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
Those first few steps transitioning from land to water
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

64toby

• View Profile
Yes, Those first few steps.I feel like i go from one world to another and the second one is way better.

LeeinOH

• Niles McKinley #794
    • View Profile
I usually go out in the afternoon... The excitement of walking out and getting set up, not knowing how the fishing will be... and the approach of 4pm... when they really turn on and the walleye start hitting!!!!!

snag

• View Profile
I like the solitude and quietness of ice fishing.  And in addition to that, most folks out there are true fishermen.  True fishermen are ethical, friendly, and like to keep the environment cleaner than what is was when they got there.  I've never met a true fisherman I didn't like.   

toadfish

• View Profile
Walking on what used to be liquid just days prior is one my favorite parts of being an ice fisherman.  Sharing tips and techniques with other considerate fisherman is also enjoyable.

Hearing the ice crack as it thickens soothes the soul. 

Of course, nothing beats  marks on the vexilar that thicken and turn red just before the rod tip takes a dive.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
You guys said it all.  That's why I simply love it.... and dont soft water fish.

We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
I like loading up the snowmobile, being one of the first ones to make the trek out onto one of the best walleye lakes in the world, the blur of white in front of you for many minutes, only to stop at a spot, bait up, and then see that first appearance of a big fat red mark... Hop hop  GATOR
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

g

• View Profile
I love the entire experience. Taking those first steps onto the ice and walking or machining to a predetermined spot, drilling my holes and pulling fish through the holes. The sunrises and sunsets seem a little more spectacular and the cold air cleaner and crisper. It's more rewarding figuring out where to fish and then catching fish there. Watching the fish swim under the hole and getting it to come through the hole is my favorite part. Especially on clear lakes where i can see the fish coming up from deep water.

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile
 ;D Being outdoors with friends . Watching someone grasp the spirit behind ice fishing. And the scenery, ever changing , always beautiful . And the fish I harvest are sweeter .

ohiochris

• View Profile
All the above , but my absolute favorite of all is the adventure and being able to do something only certain relatively few like minded people will ever attempt. It can be a drag when the fish arent biting but its a lot like camping , sometimes its worth the work and preparing just to have your own little area on the ice and hang out for a while. The anticipation and preparation ahead of time can be almost as fun as the fishing. Ive been disappointed and left without fish many times but I always leave feeling satisfied with the adventure of getting out there.

Vexilar