Ice Fish Ohio Forum
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 06:13:34 PM

Author Topic: Ice conditions 1-8-15  (Read 10227 times)

MW-Fishing

• View Profile
Ice conditions 1-8-15
« on: January 08, 2015, 02:20:28 PM »

I went around the lake today and didn't really find any safe fishable ice. The first pull off @ long island had 3' of milky ice. The 2nd pull off looked too dangerous to even attempt walking out onto it. The game reserve and blackhawk has a lot of snow build up and was only a 1 1/2 thick! The ice started cracking really bad 4ft off the bank! In my opinion it's about a week away before it has safe to fish. For me I'll be sticking to the docks @ CJ Brown or Alum Creek.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 12:50:01 PM by Maxdad »

Mullygyn

Re: Ice conditions 1-8-15
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 03:10:02 PM »

I'm hearing other reports... bait shops say 5 inches of ice. Whole lake is pretty much fishable including Blackhawk and northfork... please she'd some light

itsalifestyle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 03:23:49 PM »

first pull off at long island all the way out by other bank was the only hole I seen 5 inchs I drilled tons of hole 95% was 3 inchs or less tons of unsafe ice that was yesterday im going to check back sat but wont waste my time with bad ice again

MW-Fishing

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 03:42:58 PM »

@ Mullygyn you can take my word or not, but I just spent half my day researching the lake and what I'm tell you is true. Maybe next time you can get off your couch and find out for yourself. Whoever is tell you 5 inches is feeding you a line. Maybe 2 inches with 3 inches of snow build up. I wouldn't trust it, but that's  just me. If you want to fish it than that's on you, just be smart and safe about it.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 04:03:45 PM by Maxdad »

MW-Fishing

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 03:53:09 PM »

also @ Mullygyn I stopped at the Lakeside pro bass today and they guy behind the counter was how do I say this, "slightly impaired" (strong alcohol odor!) and the other guy was a trainee. So if that's where you got your info, I would advise you to get more opinions or do some more research on your own. On a side note: Lakeside pro bass has spikes I n stock and also they ordered red spikes. They should be in stock in a few days. :-)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 06:42:19 PM by Maxdad »

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 03:54:46 PM »

North Fork is NOT FISHABLE.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 04:08:14 PM »

Bait shops also know that you will stop before you go fishing. Keep in mind people were in boats fishing last weekend. I will post real (.000) accurate data tomorrow.
Check your own ice
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 05:23:38 PM »

I just got back from Indian, didn't fish or get out to check ice but there were people fishing. Heard the guy at lakeside pro telling people over the phone 5", idk I never checked jut wanted to get bait I go the last of the mousies and they had no spikes. Said shipment tomorrow. Hopefully have some sat.

Bryan78

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 08:37:39 PM »

I know it's two different lakes but I personally drilled through 5 inches in a channel at Grand Lake on Wednesday. Only caught four small fish for my efforts. It's been plenty cold to make ice and it'll make a bunch by the weekend.

steelneyes

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 11:46:28 PM »

Not to disparage the fellows business, but last Friday we were fishing a bay and two young fellows came sliding out in their sneakers said "how much is is there" and "are you guys catching any fish"  When basically ignored by the group of us who were trying to stay far apart on 3" of ice they announced that they worked for said previously mention pro shop and just came down to get a report. 
There was open water 25 yards away and numerous areas with 1.5 or less and they were telling people it was safe because people were on it. 
I understand they need to sell bait and tackle and make money.  But a lake like Indian with so many channels, cuts, canals, bays etc. will be highly variable.  To say the lake is 5" or "safe" is misleading and dangerous. 
As stated before, go out and check your own ice.  Or wait another 10 days until everyone who does the checking has been out and follow their tracks. 
We happened to spend quite a bit of money in that shop that morning, but only asked if anyone was getting out on the ice and then drove around until we found ice we felt was safe.  Apparently, most shops aren't going to tell you not to go out, any more than they will tell you not to come by if the fishing has been awful for the last 3 weeks.  Before we all had computers, we would drive down to the lake and spud and check, occasionally literally getting our feet wet. It's still the only way to be certain.
Spud one, spud two, if it went through, so will you!

Mullygyn

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 12:06:10 AM »

@ maxdad
There used to be a time when they would keep it real and tell you to stay home. Apparently not now. Before I was personally told the conditions last night pro bass told me "5 inches across the lake. Everybody is out. It's happening!" So now that this is all straightened out. Thanks for the good reports

MW-Fishing

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 01:50:11 AM »

Look Mullygyn, I'm not going sling mud with you on a social media site. All I can tell you is that on January 6th you requested ice conditions. On January 8th I personally checked the ice on the north side and posted what I witnessed. Now that can all change in the next few days, but as of Jan 8th the ice conditions on north fork are not safe.  All I can tell you is spud your way out, wear you safety picks, have a partner, and always carry rope. Good luck to you and I hope you get on em.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 12:49:21 PM by Maxdad »

g

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 07:27:35 AM »

Thanks for your report Maxdad. Personally, Northfork is usually a later spot to fish for me due to the river current. Cranberry is usually my first spot. Don't fish Long Island much, I like chasing the toothy fish. Please keep posting ice conditions, I know I greatly appreciate it.

megan66

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 10:19:35 AM »

I personally checked 5 specific spots yesterday at Indian Lake!

Blackhawk out from the boat ramp out to 50-75 yards 2". Didn't fish it , didn't feel comfortable!

Indian Lake Shores, back in the game reserve area, and the channel ice, unsafe 1 an 1/2"!

First pull off at Long Island 3 -4 " out to about 100- 150 yards out! Ive caught fish here the last 2 days!

3rd pull off up by the bridge at Long Island in front of the big parking area on Pony Island side 3-4" of good solid ice right in front of the parking area out to about 100 - 150 yards. The closer I got to Pony the less ice I got! I fished near the A- frame on about 2"-2 and 1/2 inches of ice!

The opposite side of the bridge unsafe ice,,, 1"- to 1 an 1/2

Long Island at the mouth, safe ice , 4 " and had fisherman on it Thursday evening!

All of these measurements were yesterday between  2:00 and 5:30!

So yes there is safe ice,,, and fishable ice,,, along with un-safe ice! Take a spud and be careful!!!!!!!

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 01:30:25 PM »

I concur with megan66.
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Pages: [1] 2

Pages: [1] 2
Print Print

Vexilar