Ice Fish Ohio Forum

1-11-15

crv423 · 12 · 8526

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
First time on the ice today, took Dave to what is usually a panfish spot I have fished several times for big gills, but they were not anywhere to be found, what it ended up being was a good perch and eye spot. Dave caught 1 throw back and 1-19" eye, missed about 3 strikes. I caught 1-11" perch and 1-12" perch, lost the biggest perch I have ever seen in the hole along with 4 saugeyes ranging from 2 to 4 lbs. all of which came off while I was bending over to grab them outta the hole. I think Dave filed off my barbs on my hooks. Where we were fishing their was 7" of ice, but spud your way there is a lot of areas with a lot less including some areas of open water. We were in 6ft of water and the fish hit just about everything, jiggn raps, syco  shads, live minnows under bobbers, and on tip ups, and jaw jackers. The bite was real light and it took a lotta work to get them to commit. All in all it was a good first time out, with a good fishing buddy, even though he was doubting my choice of area when we got there. Good luck if you go out and make sure you use a spud.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Nice guys, glad you got out to fish crv I know you've had a hectic start to the season! Sorry you had to put up with Dave's whining about your fishing spot.  I would definitely check your barbs I wouldn't put anything past him! ;D it is nice to get out with some good friends and enjoy life though!
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
They sell locks at walmart and should fit your tackle box so you don't have to experience that again lol. Nice report
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

FishFever103

• View Profile
Hi CRV. I have been learning how to ice fish and this is my 3rd season. So far I have focused mainly on pan fish but want to catch some saugeyes. I have been looking at the syco's and was wondering what size and color you recommend for Buckeye. Any good pointers for a beginner would be appreciated. Sounds like you have a wealth of experience and knowledge.

crv423

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
@fishfever103, Dave is a big fan of the syco shads, you would have to ask him, I don't use them, I stick to the stuff that has been proven to work for years, jiggn raps, pimples, vibes( depending on the lake your fishing), and always a live bait rig next to something I just mentioned. If your focus is buckeye lake you can use the smallest rap they make and move up a size or two depending on clarity of water, tip the treble with a wax worm or the smallest minnow head you got, so you don't interfere with the action. Also tip ups work great at buckeye, spread them out. Hope this helps and good luck.   
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

g

• View Profile
What time frame did you fish and did the fish bite all day or was it a morning bite? Glad you got into some fish.hopefully if you go this Sat. we can hook up.

crv423

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
It was overcast all day causing the fish to feed all day, but it was sporadic, we wouldn't mark a fish for 2hrs then every pole would start bouncing for 5mins, then as fast as it started it ended, wait 2hrs, on again. I think they are roaming around in little wolf packs chasing shad. I believe if they keep letting water out they will have no choice but to school up in the few holes there are in the lake, should pick up. Gonna fish buckeye again Tues. if anyone wants to meet up, I'm gonna go after panfish at an area I herd they were doing good, I've never fished there but figured I'd give it a shot, I can always move.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

Saw guy

• View Profile
Great to hear that you got out Chris. I was out on Saturday and picked up about 35 eyes. All dinks, 10-12 inches. Lost one decent one. Nice to see the bright outlook for the future but disappointed that none were bigger. Did you guys run into a lot of smaller eyes. The guys around us were catching the same in about 11 feet.

Love2fish

• View Profile
CRV423 - what time were you planning on going Tuesday? 

g

• View Profile
Thanks for the reply Chris. Going to try Indian We'd. afternoon. Not sure what area yet. Am going to try and fish Buckeye Sat.

crv423

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
No on the dinks, Dave caught 1 short, everything else was keepers. Where we fished there is not the quantity as Fairfield or harbor hills, but the quality is much better. As far as what time I'm going Tues. depends on how much gets consumed during the big game. If you would like to meet up PM me your number and I'll give you a call after I take some Advil in the morning.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

fool4fish

• View Profile
Glad to hear u got some perch n eyes there crv hope to see everybody sat. Fever103 I was fairly new last year myself stay at it and u can figure buckeye out these guys will keep u updated be persistent use their tips n u can succeed pm me if you'd like to meet up I would be happy to help out just like others helped me I'll be out all day Sat. N part sun
It goes without saying if its anything worth doing might as well do it right

Vexilar