Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Vex help please!!!!!

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
Ok guys I have a vex fl-8se. I have had the unit 2-3 years never have had any problems withit. I bought it new. Was fishing yesterday and all was well fished for about 6 hrs and the unit just stopped reading!! I switched holes and it just stopped. I unhooked the ducer and hooked it back up. Unplug the battery and let it set for about 10 mins and tryed again still nothing. Switched out to my spare battery and got zip! I have no idea what is going on. I inspected the ducer cable and can't see any damage. It was extremely weird that it just quit on me. Have never had any issues. I tryed calling vex but they are closed on the weekend. I'm thinking the ducer went bad but idk, hope it's something simple bc a new ducer is about $100 that I don't really have. Any ideas?? Thansk in advance

quackpot

• View Profile
Anson if you want to try my transducer you can. I still have a fl8, you will have better luck sending a email.  I sent one in they told me repairs are between $35-$115. Mine that I sent in was just over $33 that was with return shipping.  Turn around time was a week. I was really happy with the service. If you want I can meet you tomorrow I live in marysville.

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
Quack pot I will get ahold of you and we can try and meet up. See if this is what's causing it. I've tried darn near everything else. I might try and fish sometime tomorrow so I might get ahold of you after, or we could team up and hit the ice? Got a lead on a decent perch bite.

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
If you call vex's customer service they will help diagnose the problem over the phone. Mine wouldn't turn on a few years back, they diagnosed it as the power switch, and sent me a new one for free. I hope you get it going I probably wouldn't fish( wouldn't know how) if I didn't have mine.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
Crv your right I do t want to fish without it, I have my marcum which works fine but usually fish w a partner and we each use a flasher.

Just got off he phone with vexilar, after a short time of trouble shootng they diagnosed it as needing a new ducer. Said it would run around $95. Hope I can find a used one somewhere or fin done cheaper than that. Anyone have any suggestions?

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
If you want to sell it I would be interested in buying it if the price is right, and fixing it for a backup. PM me and let me know.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
So was sitting around last night and decided to mess w the vex. The customer service guy told me the two most common spots for breakage in the cord are at the ducer and at the plug. So I started stripping of the coating on the outside and what do you know, broken wire right above the ducer. So I took a litle electrical tape and fixed it up. It looks kind of redneck now but it is working. Gonna try I out on the water hear soon.

Vexilar