Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Flasher Help.

G.M.T · 16 · 9497

G.M.T

• View Profile
Hey guys, I have a couple questions about Flashers, fish finder, and/or Cameras.
With tax season on the way I've been looking into getting a flasher it something to give me an idea of what's under the ice. I've been leaning towards a flasher, because I think it would be a better start to my collection rather than a camera.

With flashers in mind, I want to hear people's opinions on MarCum's LX series vs Vexilar's FL series. Please do not start a slug-fest between the two brands, this post is really meant for me to absorb as much information as possible. Also, if you want to include other brands feel free to do so.

g

• View Profile
I would pick a depth finder over a camera. I have the Vex fl-18 and have had it for over ten years. Vex, Hummingbird, Lowrance, and Marcum all make nice units. I love the zoom feature on my Vex but it only does the bottom 6 feet while the Marcum zoom can be set throughout the water column. Check what people are using while out fishing and most will show you what they are using and explain their features. That way you can decide what you want. Whichever unit you buy will be a great investment. I use mine all year long and love crappie and saugeye fishing out of a boat with it. Good luck on your decision.

LeeinOH

• Niles McKinley #794
    • View Profile
During the off season I bought a used Humminbird 385ci and a Vexilar FL-8. The last sonar I had was a Humminbird Super Sixty flasher (circa 1978).  After using both this season, I greatly prefer the Humminbird for several reasons... Built in GPS which allows me to return to good spots, I can set the bottom the the foot, I can set the zoom for practically any depth in the water column, it allows me to use a lakemaster chip to see the topography of any lake I fish and last but not least.... No annoying whirring sound while I'm fishing.

Either unit will serve you well and will show both lure and fish, but for my money I get more with the video style finder/GPS combo.

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile
 ;D For my money its Marcum . Many more features for your dollar if getting a Flasher . For ease of use and understanding ,its a showdown . Do your research and good luck . Go fishing with different people with different equipment and ask questions .

Saw guy

• View Profile
I have 2 flashers. Started out with the Marcum VX1 and upgraded to a Vexilar FL28. Vx1 was a good unit and I did well with it. My only criticism is that the wiring is put together like a 5th grade science project. I don't use the Marcum much any more since I got the Vex. I like the zoom feature on the vex. I also like the color options and the number of interference settings. I bought it used less than a year for a good price. If I was to buy one new, I would probably purchase the FL18. I've looked at a few of them, and they're a quality unit.

DrNeden

• View Profile
Just Bought the Marcum LK-6 and I love it. I had the Hummingbird flasher and that broke after 3 times out so I decided to get something better and I am glad I did. You will not be sorry if you get the Marcum LX-6,LX-7 or the LK-9.

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
I have a vex I bought 10 years ago, I fish more than the average person does, so I have really used it. I have only had 1 issue, the on and off switch went out, and vexilar  sent me a new one at no cost, besides that they spent time on the phone with me to diagnose the problem. I haven't used the others a lot, but have played with them on the ice, I don't see anything wrong with the others its just mine still works fine after 10 years that should say something. I think it's personal preference, I'm sure other icers would let you check out their units on the ice before you make a decision. Good luck and be safe.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Without knowing your budget, I'd recommend the vex FLX - 28. I had the 18 for 8 years and actually still have it. Although a friend is using it now because his hummingbird went crap after a few months. With the 28, it has 2 zoom settings, a weed mode that works great. Used it all day in weed mode today. Different gain and power settings for different depths. It also had target separation of 1/4" in 40 feet of water. Which means you can tell by looking at the screen if your maggot gets sucked of your lure 40 feet deep. And yes you can tell! 
As for a camera, as the budget allows, get one.  They're important in certain situations. The other day I put my camera down the hole and watched as the fish took my gill pill. It was the only way to know you got bit, and I was using a spring bobber. The camera also let's you know what's down there and can help you interpret the signals on your vex.
They are both important tools for ice fishing and I wouldn't be without either one. But in order of importance: flasher, camera.

P.S.  for gps, if you have a smart phone, just get the navionics usa app. Best $10 you'll ever spend. Won't need gps unit in the ice and the phone maps are amazingly accurate. Only way I'll fish now. Then you also have waypoints in phone for open water fishing too. We're never without our phones anymore!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
I have used vex for 15 years and never had a problem with any unit. If someone does vex will fix them so fast at a very reasonable fee. I believe you can send in a old unit and they will recondition it like new for around $75. Customer service is something to consider. The 28 is a heck of a unit. They are all good units now so get out try them out. I would go flasher before a camera.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

Minnowhead

• View Profile
I'm a Vex guy. Ice put a lot of hours on mine. I got mine based on price. I wanted both a camera and a flasher. My camera is fun to use but my Vex works in any water clarity condition and also at night. I've had zero issues with my Vex. Guys that use Marcums absolutely love them. They are considered the best unit, but pricey. You should be able to pick one up on clearance pretty soon. My 2cents.
Throwing ice cubes in the lake all summer long!

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
OK. I'm going to change my answer. BOTH!  I've been an ice fisherman for over 25 years, and my camera answered a question for me today that no electronics could. I was fishing an area I've never been on before and couldn't figure out why fish were holding on one area of the flat but nowhere else. Saw the fish and a hard bottom on my vex, but nothing distinct. Dropped my camera down my holes and was amazed! The bottom was littered with concrete pipes!  I could see the fish inside the pipes dart out and grab my lure. Without my camera I'd have never known why I was catching fish there.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 09:33:20 PM by slabslayer »
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
I have the Vex 18 love it, but like crv I've had issues with the on -off switch, don't bother buying the cover for it, when it gets cold the plastic window cracked all to pieces. I  started with an eagle fish finder, then I bought the quad camera which is a joke, you could only see maybe 6" on Indian Lake.

Optfish

• Trout from Antrim
    • View Profile
I have the fl 22 vexler. I seem to have trouble understanding where bottom is and what are fish, should I be able to see my jig when I fish below it

toledotim

• View Profile
yes you should definitely be able to see bottom and you jig. It sounds to me like you don't have something set right. Probably your gain. There is tons of videos on youtube that will explain to you how to set it up and what it should look like once you have it set properly. If that doesn't work maybe its just a bad unit but I doubt it. 

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
A great camera is the aqua vu micro. It is color, so you can tell if the weeds are green or brown. Which is a help. Also it fits in your pocket and is the size of a cell phone so it doesn't add weight to your shanty or sled. I've used other cameras and not been real impressed.

Team Wilcraft!

Vexilar