Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Thinking of fishing this Saturday

bshock · 3 · 3004

bshock

• View Profile
Hi All,

I'm thinking of trying some ice fishing on Alum for the first time this year.  Does anyone know if the ice is safe?  I understand from previous posts that the ice at the State Marina bay has been fished already and I suspect is fine, but I haven't seen any posts recently.  And with those posts, I'm assuming that the gate is open to the State Marina dock area?

Anyway, this would just be my second time ice fishing Alum; a buddy and I tried last year but got skunked.

any tips?  I'm new to ice fishing, having really only had success pike/bass fishing with tip-ups up on a small lake in Michigan.  Is jigging the way to go for the crappie, walleye and bluegills on Alum?  I'm not looking for anyone's secret tricks, just hoping not to get skunked this time.  Any advice is appreciated!

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
I haven't checked everywhere on the lake, but the spot i'm fishing tomorrow has 8 to 10 inches. Spud your way out, Alum is a tricky place to ice fish, I have spudded my way out, one spot would be 6 hits, 10 feet away 2 hits and I hit water. If you do find good ice set tip ups shallow too deep, and drill a lot of jigging holes in different depths. For eyes I prefer raps or pimples, clear water blue and silver, cloudy water gold. Crappies jig and wax worm with a minnow and bobber in the next hole. I usually put a jig and waxy at the end of the line with a minnow and hook 1.5' above it under a bobber, 1ft off the bottom, this lets the minnow do the jiggn for you. Others might do something different, but this is what works for me. If your looking for a panfish bite, walk straight out of the Howard rd. boat ramp turn left or south, you will see a cove on the left or east side, if you line up the cove with the bridge, find 10ft, you should find some panfish. I fished the spot earlier this year and did fair. Good luck and be safe.   
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

bshock

• View Profile

Vexilar