Ice Fish Ohio Forum

1st ice trip to Alum

yeti · 4 · 3987

yeti

• View Profile
Hey all-
I have a group used to fishing at Loramie, St Marys and Indian coming to town. I am planning on giving it a go with them at Alum tomorrow, and was wondering where some spots to try would be. I saw a group sitting on the East side of the lake near Lewis Center Rd. and the Mtn Bike loop last weekend. I have also read here some folks trying by the inlet to the Cheshire Rd bay. Anyone doing good north of 36 or in the marina? We will have a mix of gear (tip ups, spinning, and old hand over hand pan fishing poles with flippers) and of course Vexilar. Plan on having a mix of crappie minnows, wax worms, jigs, vibes, etc. Any insight would be appreciated. Hoping for a few "Fish On" tomorrow. Thanks in advance!

yeti

• View Profile
Fished on 1/31 in front of the Cheshire Rd. Bay. There was about 7-8 inches of ice. Only marked a few fish, no luck on getting them to bite. Moved over to the marina for a try, and again no luck. We tried everything we had; waxworms, minnows, tip ups, vibes, pimples, you name it. The sun was out with the high pressure  system, so I'm sure that played into it. All in all it was a nice morning and fun to be out.

smith07

• View Profile
my dad and I were up by Howard road and got skunked as well. 

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
Mid season ice. It will fire back up, don't give up. Try deeper basins, I would have to assume the oxygen levels are getting low in the shallower water.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

Vexilar