Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Nimisila Walleye Hunt 2/6-2/7

PLXiceman · 16 · 12574

PLXiceman

• View Profile
So, I know many folks have tried and failed to find walleye through the ice here. I know for a fact, there's a targetable population there, just a matter of finding them. The lake has many great structural features, too many in fact. Today, I plan to scout out a few areas, no rods, just an auger, vex, and snow shovel! Hoping to locate fish today and have some starting points for tomorrow morning. I plan to be in the area between the dam and the large island on the south end. Primarily in/around the channel in the western portion of that area. Looking for insight from others who may have been successful with some consistency, anywhere on the lake for eyes. Will be in a red Eskimo shanty tomorrow. PM me with any info you care to share.
Respect our waters, leave it better than you found it!

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile
 ;D Good luck , tried for two years in that area through the ice . One cigar only . I must be doing something wrong . The shad were everywhere when I tried so that could have something to do with it . I never tried at night , with the gin clear water I should have tried at night . Ntoiceman36 sez I'd have better luck finding Bigfoot . Looking forward to your followup post .

PLXiceman

• View Profile
Well, the scouting mission revealed some promising results. Marked plenty of fish in all depths from 32'-4.5'. We'll see what the morning brings, be on the ice by 7:30.

Luvztaphish

• View Profile
Get ready for a lot of channel cats , the place is lousy with them .

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
CATFISH ?  hes right lots o cats.
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

PLXiceman

• View Profile
Here's the scouting loop from today. I'll take a channel cat or several if they show up!

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Nice loop.  I'd check those 2 deep holes near shore on the bottom right of your screen.  Looks like could hold big fish!  Fast dropoff.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Luvztaphish

• View Profile
The channels are fighters and you'll get into them for sure . Have a good day and be safe . Tight lines .

PLXiceman

• View Profile
Well, no eyes today. Drilled an absolute ton of holes and covered miles of ice, back and forth on the south end! Amazing how the dinky perch dominate 100% of the water we fished, from 4'-31', day or night, they were there! So, that's it, kinda makes finding bigfoot a more likely proposal! Anyone have different results?

Dave_E

• View Profile
Same results.

Perch everywhere on south end.  1 in 10 keepers.

I hit all depths.   Hit where old creek beds converge, sunken bridge, and secondary points.

Need to try mid lake humps near deep water next.

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
the state puts the walleye fry in the lake while they are still tiny,if they let them mature to 4 or 5 inches they would have a better survival chance,as it is now most of them end up as a meal for most any other fish.chaseing walleye on nimi is a pipe dream,time better spent pursuing other species,catching one is like hitting the lottery,i doubt if al linder could score here,just my take on it. :)
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

PLXiceman

• View Profile
The state stocks fingerling walleye here. There is a targetable population, they just do different things than walleye in other lakes. The population is not as robust as our other, better known lakes, because it doesn't have the greatest walleye habitat for young walleye. Remember, 90% of the fish are in 10% of the habitat. Just gotta find a piece of that 10%! This doesn't seem to apply to the perch in there, they're everywhere!! Could be the eyes are perpetually stuffed with perch and don't want to eat!

Ice is nice

• View Profile
My uncle used to fish nimi a while back, and he told me the only place that he caught eye's were in front of the dam. He said that there is an old stump field up in front of the dam. But he also said that he didn't catch alot, just that that was the only place he ever did catch any. Never tried fishing there for eye's myself, only because I listen to everyone else that say's there are no eye's in the lake. And he aslo said that it was quite a bit ago since he last fished the lake. Anybody ever run a depth finder around the front of the dam? If so, what did it show down there? Be nice to have one of those down scan's to get a picture of what cover the lake offers.Good luck on your quest.

Warner22

• View Profile
2 years ago in April I caught a 23 inch walleye off of the dam. I caught it on a rubber sinko while bass fishing. The walleye was spawning because as I pulled it out of the water she was releasing eggs so I quickley released the fish!

Dave_E

• View Profile
We catch 2 - 3 walleye a year from Nimi on accident.

Always while bass fishing, and always in weeds.

Not saying that's where they always are.  We just happen to fish weed lines mostly in warm weather.  We always catch ours on minnow immitations too.

Rattle Traps and Shad Raps mainly.

I agree with PLXIceman.  They're in there.  Just have to find the recipe.

Vexilar