Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Warm Weekend about to hit

JohnTheDeer

• View Profile
Im looking at the weather for here in Northeast Ohio and its going to be in the 40s with a chance or rain. I'm just curious how much this will melt the ice. This is my first year ice fishing so I don't really know how this will play out.

I've been to Ladue multiple times this year. Caught a bunch of smaller yellow perch a handful or white perch and about 4-5 8-10in crappie. I'm wanting to go this weekend but I'm just not sure.

Thanks

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
It would take weeks for the amount of ice we have in central Ohio to melt with 40 degree temps, especially with it getting below freezing at night. What ever melts during the day will refreeze at night. I wouldn't be surprised if we are fishing in march.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

bucknuts

• View Profile
I SURE HOPE SO! Wouldn't that be great!!!!  ;D
Know our history or we are bound to repeat it!

nixmkt

• View Profile
This is my first year ice fishing so I don't really know how this will play out.

As crv423 noted, the couple days shouldn't affect the ice much most places.  It may even help some places by melting some of the snow and slush on top.

One thing to watch for when it starts to get warmer longer though is old holes.  They can grow much larger and easily be stepped in if you are not paying attention.  Besides getting a foot or leg wet, you can seriously hurt something as well.  They can be difficult to notice if it snows again and they get covered over.

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Good advise Nixmkt, Tom.  Yeah, it's gonna be a sloppy mess this weekend. I'd like to get out, but the Honey-Do List has me bamboozled .... atleast for Saturday morning & Saturday afternoon.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile
This will make it a sloppy mess ,but it will refreeze . Wife's birthday today ,so I'm not going out till Sunday . I get to try my new Kahtoola micro spikes .

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Also watch the edges. The snow melt and warmer Temps could weaken the edges. Be careful not to get a wet foot. May need to plank on in some areas. Main lake ice should survive just fine as noted. We'll be fishing into March.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
just came off nimi and not even sloppy, snow got soft but ice is good shape. 5-6 clear and 3-4 white on top... ;D
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Green Pea

• View Profile
This will make it a sloppy mess ,but it will refreeze . Wife's birthday today ,so I'm not going out till Sunday . I get to try my new Kahtoola micro spikes .
You will love those spikes. I just bought a pair and they make an enormous difference. 

Vexilar