Ice Fish Ohio Forum

What is your favorite Saugeye bait?

bucknuts · 22 · 12940

bucknuts

• View Profile
Hello all, Being somewhat new to this site and ice fishing I figure this is a good way to not spend a bunch of money on baits that nobody uses.

So, what is your favorite jig/spoon/bait/color for Saugeye through the ice?

This could be useful information for some of IFO's members besides just myself.

Thank you all in advance.

E
Know our history or we are bound to repeat it!

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
I have 4 preferred baits I use when eye fishing, the colors are typically the same, blue/silver, gold, firetiger, and clown. Jigging rap, vibes, Swedish pimples, and jig and minnow. Good luck and be safe.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

bucknuts

• View Profile
Thanks crv, I would post mine but being that I have not caught a saugeye through the ice I don't have any favorites.

38 views just trying to get some info, in this world you have to give a little to get a little!

Thanks in advance for all of the future posts on this topic.

E

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
When jigging these lures put a minnow close to the bottom under a bobber, in a hole next to ur jiggn hole, this often works for me if they don't want your lure offering they sometimes will take the minnow.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

bucknuts

• View Profile
Wow thanks CRV! Now lets see if we can get some reply's from some non pro staff members. Come on guys/gals I'm not asking for your daughters phone number lol.

Thanks again,

E

bucknuts

• View Profile
75 Views and only 1 person has posted, WTF!!! What a friendly and helpful bunch we are

Thanks

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
a small jigging rap,with 2 wax worms dangling off the small treble hook,works better sometimes than adding a small minnow.
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile
 ;DWe do have slot of lurkers ,but that's okay . I like slender spoon with a minnow head ,fished near (6")bottom. Color depends on water clarity and time of day . Jigging Rap with a minnow head . And always ,a dead stick with a minnow , usually seals the deal . Good luck and tight lines . ;D

bucknuts

• View Profile
Thats awesome...now we are getting somewhere.

Thank you very much!!!

E

Green Pea

• View Profile
75 Views and only 1 person has posted, WTF!!! What a friendly and helpful bunch we are

Thanks
Perhaps the views are people like me and yourself. Came here to get the same information your after but don't have enough experience to leave helpful tips.

bucknuts

• View Profile
I would hope that there are more than 3 guys on this site that have caught saugeye through the ice.

The way I see it if your looking for info and you get some a simple Thank You post might be in order.

I'm heading for Buckeye now for Sat. Night ice fishing. I will post about how this useful info worked out.

FYI Tomorrow I will post about an interesting experience at Gander Mountain, it is not quite finished yet...Im waiting to see how they handle it before I post.

Thank you everyone who has looked and posted on this string.

E

Green Pea

• View Profile
I went to CJ last night and tried out a variety of glow stuff but no luck.

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
there is one little secret hint you could try, when using a sweedish pimple I take the hooks off of a glow sweedish pimple tie it on, then where the hook were, I put a 10-12" long leader on with another glow pimple, the  hookless pimple acts as an attractant. 

bucknuts

• View Profile
Thanks ice dawg! I'm going to try that. I have had great success with the double jig rig for saugeyes in current. Why not through the ice.

g

• View Profile
I have good luck with a vibe, jigging rapala and buckshot rattle spoons. Firetiger, gold blue/chrome and perch colors work well. Bright colors  like orange and red work in stained water. Use natural colors in clear water and bright and glow colors in stained water. Good luck catching your first eye.

Vexilar